Utah (USA) Senator Mike Lee expresses deep distress over Trump leaked video; Asks Trump to step aside

The shock from Utah state Republicans over this leaked Trump video can be seen in the video clip and its transcript below.

Sen. Mike Lee: Trump Needs to Step Down as the Republican Nominee, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0LG5R6sIcM, 3 min 48 secs, published on Oct. 7th 2016.

Transcript of video:
Hi, I am Senator Mike Lee. I am speaking to you tonight from my home in Utah. I've been thinking a lot this evening about our candidate, the Republican candidate for president of the United States. I've been thinking a lot about some of his statements and how they are affecting people. How they make me feel. You know, I have a wife. I have a daughter. I have a mother and I have five sisters, all of whom I love dearly. It occurred to me on countless occasions today that if anyone spoke to my wife or my daughter or my mother or any of my five sisters, the way Mr. Trump has spoken to women, I wouldn't hire that person. I wouldn't hire that person, wouldn't want to be associated with that person. And I certainly don't think I feel comfortable hiring that person to be the leader of the free world.

It occurs to me that although these were not my sisters, this wasn't my daughter, my wife or my mother to whom Donald Trump was speaking, or of whom he was speaking, this was somebody's sister. This was somebody's daughter. In some cases, it may have been somebody's mother or somebody's wife. The fact is we have been asked to settle. We have been asked to settle, time and time again, with our government. And we have been asked to settle on matters of great principle with our candidate for president of the United States. This can't continue. Its time for us not to settle. Its time for us to expect more. We have to remember that as Republicans, as conservatives, we have succeeded precisely to the degree that we have abided by certain principles, principles that have animated this country and fostered the development of the greatest civilization the world has ever known. It is those principles and only those principles that will help us win in November. That's the only way to get there. Meanwhile as we have been asked to settle, we've been given a huge series of distractions. Mr. Trump himself has acknowledged this and identified this series of events tonight as a mere distraction.

Well, with all due respect, sir, you sir, are the distraction. Your conduct, sir, is the distraction, is the distraction from the very principles that will help us win in November. You yourself sir, Mr. Trump, have stated repeatedly the goal, the objective has got to be to defeat Hillary Clinton in November. I couldn't agree more. (Its) for precisely that reason, Mr. Trump, that I respectfully ask you, with all due respect to step aside. Step down. Allow someone else to carry the banner of these principles. These principles that have made our country great. These principles that will stand as a beacon of hope to the American family, rather than weighing down the American people, rather than weighing down the very principles that will help us win in November.

Its time for us all to come together. Its time to expect more. There is no need for us to settle. There will be time to figure out the who. Right now we got to be focused on the what. And that what has to involve our greatest, our most noble principles. Let's move forward. My fellow Americans and my fellow Republicans, lets find a candidate who can carry that banner without distraction and without settling. Thank you very much. May God bless the United States of America.
--- end transcript ---

A related video: Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Not Supporting Trump Anymore! - October 7, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NurQxklrdg, 7 min. 21 secs.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about the USA presidential elections. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me voting in these elections.

[I thank USA Senator Mike Lee and have presumed that he will not have any objections to me sharing the above transcript from the above video on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more