Donald Trump USA presidential candidacy may crash after explosive 2005 video about lewd attitude towards women

Last updated on 10th Oct. 2016

Warning: This post has links to videos and articles having graphic content. Readers who would like to avoid reading such stuff may please skip reading the rest of this post.

Note: I am making an exception in this post by moving away from my publicly neutral informal student-observer stand on this 2016 USA presidential election. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me voting in these elections.

Donald Trump Secret Recording- What A Boss // Creepy Billy Bush Worst Wingman EVER, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuHPRYkMEwI, 3 min 6 secs.

Note that Mr. Donald Trump was 59 years old at the time of the video (2005) and recently married to his third and current wife.

CNN Panel Shocked By Donald Trump's Comments: "Very, Very Vulgar Way to Talk About Women", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWt_ryOQgMg, 7 min 45 secs.

The statement from Donald Trump on it, https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/statement-from-donald-j.-trump, “This was locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago. Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course - not even close. I apologize if anyone was offended.”

The story was broken by Washington Post. Trump recorded having extremely lewd conversation about women in 2005, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-recorded-having-extremely-lewd-conversation-about-women-in-2005/2016/10/07/3b9ce776-8cb4-11e6-bf8a-3d26847eeed4_story.html, dated 7th October 2016.

The above article reports that USA House Speaker Paul Ryan was "sickened" by these (2005) (private) comments of Trump, and disinvited Trump from a joint event scheduled on Saturday, Oct. 8th in Wisconsin. Paul Ryan is quoted as saying, "Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified. I hope Mr. Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests".

Republican National Committee chairman, Reince Preibus is quoted as saying, "No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever."

Mitt Romney, former Republican presidential nominee (2012) is quoted as saying, "Hitting on married women? Condoning assault? Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America’s face to the world."

Hillary Clinton, Democratic party nominee for President, said on Twitter, https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/784497331647422464, "This is horrific. We cannot allow this man to become president."

Tim Kaine, Democratic party nominee for Vice-president said on Twitter, https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/784538793466560512, "This kind of behavior is disgusting. It makes me sick to my stomach."

A contrast to Mr. Trump's statement can be seen from Mr. Billy Bush's statement (who was the main person Trump was talking to in this video) as reported in http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/billy-bush-reaction-donald-trump-video-apology-1201881989/, "“Obviously I’m embarrassed and ashamed. It’s no excuse, but this happened eleven years ago — I was younger, less mature, and acted foolishly in playing along. I’m very sorry".

Mr. Billy Bush is more apologetic than Mr. Trump even though Bush did not make such comments but played along/encouraged these comments from Mr. Trump then.

Some more articles on it:
Tape Reveals Donald Trump Bragging About Groping Women, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/us/politics/donald-trump-women.html, October 7th 2016

The above article quotes USA Senate Majority leader, Senator Mitch McConnell as saying, "As the father of three daughters, I strongly believe that Trump needs to apologize directly to women and girls everywhere, and take full responsibility for the utter lack of respect for women shown in his comments on that tape".

The Sleaziness of Donald Trump By the New York Times EDITORIAL BOARD, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/opinion/the-sleaziness-of-donald-trump.html, OCT. 7, 2016

In the context of Mr. Trump saying in his sort-of apology, "“I apologize if anyone was offended.", the article comments:

If? Well, maybe it’s reasonable for him to wonder. This is a man who has said many outrageous things, after all, proudly violating all conventions of civic discourse with gutter attacks on women and the disabled, immigrants and minorities. He said that Senator John McCain was not a war hero and that fat women were disgusting.

Yet, those kinds of remarks have not deterred the millions of Americans who fervently support him.
--- end short extract from New York Times article ---

Donald Trump, Groper in Chief by Nicholas Kristof, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/opinion/sunday/donald-trump-groper-in-chief.html, Oct. 7th 2016. A small extract from it [Ravi: He mentioned in quotes below is Mr. Donald Trump]:

Harth and her longtime boyfriend were in meetings with Trump to forge a business partnership. “He was relentless,” Harth recalled in an interview, describing how on Dec. 12, 1992, he  took the couple to dinner and a club — and then situated himself beside Harth and ran his hands up her skirt, to her crotch. “I didn’t know how to handle it. I would go away from him and say I have to go to the restroom. It was the escape route.”
--- end short extract from New York Times article ---

Ravi: Mr. Trump's comments are private comments. However, they do offer a window into the character of the man. If these comments were made by an unmarried Trump in his twenties I would not have paid so much attention to it. But this was made when he was 59 years old and married to his third wife!!! [I am 54 years old now and am unmarried.] I am horrified and sickened that a man who is the Republican party nominee for president of the USA which is the biggest economy of the world today and has the most powerful military in the world today, said such very lewd words about women, even if it was in private, just around a decade ago as a married man close to 60 years of age!!!

I will NOT trust such a man to wield the extraordinary power and influence of the presidency of the USA in a fair and just manner even for USA citizens, let alone the rest of the world. But then maybe the Trump of 70 years of age today is a very transformed person from that of Trump in 2005! Maybe Trump now has a more dignified view of women. But I sure have my grave doubts about this basic character aspect of Trump with respect to women.

Some say a society can be judged by how it treats its women. I am glad to see comments from leading political leaders of the USA like Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine from both the major political parties, which did not mince words in condemning these private comments of Trump in 2005. I also think Trump needs to do a lot, lot more of sincere apologizing for this than the rather bland sort-of apology he gave in his statement, for him to be viewed with dignity and respect by decent USA as well as decent world citizens, especially those that follow decent moral values within religion or outside religion. If I were a Christian in the USA [I am a Hindu with great love and respect for Jesus Christ and the Christian faith], I would have a very, very hard time coming to terms with Trump being a sort-of defender of the Christian faith as he is trying to portray one aspect of his candidacy for president of the USA.

I think Trump's chances to be president are going to crash now. I can't see Trump coming out of this hole easily unless there is some similar disastrous exposure impacting the Democratic candidates.

I am sorry if my words above hurt some readers. But I felt it is my duty as somebody who has love and goodwill towards USA in gratitude for all the good times I have had in the USA as well as happy and knowledge enriching direct and indirect (books, articles, videos etc.) interactions with USA citizens and residents over the decades, to publicly share my frank views on this matter.
==========================================

An UPDATE
---------
In this newly released apology video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg1jqClba1M, 1 min 31 secs, published Oct. 7th 2016, Mr. Trump says, "I have never said I am a perfect person nor pretended to be someone that I am not. I have said and done things I regret. And the words released today on this more than a decade old video are one of them. Anyone who knows me knows these words don't reflect who I am. I said it. I was wrong and I apologize. I travelled the country talking about change for America. But my travels have also changed me. I have spent time with grieving mothers who have lost their children, laid off workers whose jobs have gone to other countries and people from all walks of life who just want a better future. I have gotten to know the great people of our country and I have been humbled by the faith they placed in me. I pledge to be a better man tomorrow and will never ever let you down. Let's be honest. We are living in the real world. This is nothing but a distraction from the important issues we are facing today. We are losing our jobs...."

Ravi: This apology is better than the earlier one but still does not seem contrite enough to me. However, Mr.Trump has pledged to be a better man. Who knows, if he is elected president, perhaps the very powerful position will ennoble him and we will see a honourable Mr. and USA President Donald Trump. But I have to say that I still have my doubts about that.
-------------------------------------------------------

Readers may want to see my blog post, Utah (USA) Senator Mike Lee expresses deep distress over Trump leaked video; Asks Trump to step aside, http://ravisiyermisc.blogspot.in/2016/10/utah-usa-senator-mike-lee-expresses.html, dated Oct. 8th 2016.

---------------------------

Trump throws GOP into chaos, http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/donald-trump-gop-chaos/, Oct. 9th 2016

The above article quotes Mr. Donald Trump's wife, Mrs. Melania Trump as saying, "This does not represent the man that I know. He has the heart and mind of a leader. I hope people will accept his apology, as I have, and focus on the important issues facing our nation and the world".

Mr. Donald Trump is quoted as saying to the Washington Post, "I'd never withdraw. I've never withdrawn in my life. No, I'm not quitting. I have tremendous support." He is also quoted as saying to the Wall Street Journal that there is "zero chance I'll quit".

It quotes Republican nominee for vice-president, Gov. Mike Pence, as saying, "I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse and apologized to the American people. We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when he goes before the nation tomorrow night."

Senator John McCain withdrew his support for Mr. Trump's candidacy. The above article quotes him as saying, "Donald Trump's behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy." It also states that McCain said he will NOT vote for Trump but write in  "the name of some good conservative Republican who is qualified to be president".

The article also covers the uncertainties including legal issues possibility if Mr. Trump is forced to step down or even voluntarily steps down as Republican party nominee for President, as there are only 30 days left for election day. It reports that absentee and early voting are already underway in some states. Getting a new person's name on the ballot as presidential candidate would face some challenges as deadlines for ballot access have already passed in some states of the USA.

Senator and former Republican candidate for President, Ted Cruz tweeted, "These comments are disturbing and inappropriate, there is simply no excuse for them.", https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/784567958525927426
and
"Every wife, mother, daughter -- every person -- deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.", https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/784568112419069952.

Former Republican candidate for President and former Florida Governor, Jeb Bush said, "As the grandfather of two precious girls, I find that no apology can excuse away Donald Trump's reprehensible comments degrading women.",
https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/784530223605903360.

The person who Donald Trump referred to in one part of his leaked (2005) video, entertainment journalist, Ms. Nancy O'Dell, gave the following statement on http://www.etonline.com/news/199881_exclusive_nancy_o_dell_reacts_to_donald_trump_recording/, dated Oct. 8th 2016:

"Politics aside, I’m saddened that these comments still exist in our society at all. When I heard the comments yesterday, it was disappointing to hear such objectification of women. The conversation needs to change because no female, no person, should be the subject of such crass comments, whether or not cameras are rolling. Everyone deserves respect no matter the setting or gender. As a woman who has worked very hard to establish her career, and as a mom, I feel I must speak out with the hope that as a society we will always strive to be better."

This article, http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/10/08/donald-trump-billy-bush-were-talking-nancy-odell-leaked-audio/91786526/, dated October 8th 2016, quoting an anchor of the show that Trump had gone to in 2005, Access Hollywood, states that the captured audio (in the video), was not a conversation between two men left alone during a long break in production who forgot their microphones were still hot. "There were seven other people on the bus with Mr. Trump and Billy Bush at the time".
---------------------

Former candidate for USA president and Senator Marco Rubio said, "Donald's comments were vulgar, egregious & impossible to justify. No one should ever talk about any woman in those terms, even in private.", https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/784566254271094788

Former candidate for USA president and Governor John Kasich said, "Make no mistake the comments were wrong and offensive. They are indefensible.", https://twitter.com/JohnKasich/status/784536549404864513

Here is a full statement from Gov. John Kasich, dated Oct 8th 2016, https://www.facebook.com/notes/john-kasich/a-statement-from-gov-john-kasich/10153801616655933

"Nothing that has happened in the last 48 hours is surprising to me or many others. Many people were angry and questioned why I would not endorse Donald Trump or attend the Republican Convention.  I’ve long had concerns with Donald Trump that go beyond his temperament. We have substantive policy differences on conservative issues like trade, our relationship with Russia, and the importance of balancing the federal budget.  I’ve held out hope that he would change on those disqualifying policy positions, but he has not.  I’ve also encouraged him to change his behavior for the better and offer a positive, inclusive vision for our country, but he has not.  It's clear that he hasn't changed and has no interest in doing so.  As a result, Donald Trump is a man I cannot and should not support. The actions of the last day are disgusting, but that’s not why I reached this decision, it has been an accumulation of his words and actions that many have been warning about.  I will not vote for a nominee who has behaved in a manner that reflects so poorly on our country.  Our country deserves better."

A small extract from it, "Trump’s turbulent campaign, on display here at Sunday night’s second presidential debate with Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, has damaged far more than his own White House prospects. It threatens to diminish an entire generation of Republican leaders who stood by him and excused his behavior after attacks against women, the disabled, Latino immigrants, Muslim Americans, Syrian refugees, prisoners of war, Gold Star parents and others."

[I thank nytimes.com, cnn.com, etonline.com, usatoday.com and washingtonpost.com, and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above short extracts from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

  1. Shashi Tharoor is a former under-secretary general for the UN (who was a candidate for secretary-general of the UN in 2006, coming 2nd to Ban Ki Moon), a former union (federal) cabinet minister in Manmohan Singh govt, and is now a Member of Parliament from the capital of Kerala state, Thiruvananthapuram (from opposition Congress party).

    He tweeted on Oct. 12th 2016, "Whew! I doubt i've ever read a more savagely cutting put-down of any politician than this to @realDonaldTrump!", https://twitter.com/ShashiTharoor/status/786155652469039104?lang=en, linking to this article, Dear Donald Trump: I played in the NFL. Here’s what we really talk about in the locker room., http://www.vox.com/first-person/2016/10/10/13230346/donald-trump-locker-room-talk-chris-kluwe, by former American footballer, Chris Kluwe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Archive

Show more