Magnanimous of Trump and Romney to meet seriously for Secretary of State position discussions

Republicans Divided Between Romney and Giuliani for Secretary of State, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/24/us/politics/donald-trump-mitt-romney-rudy-giuliani-state.html, Nov. 24th 2016

A short extract from the article above:

The most publicly vocal faction has been the group opposed to Mr. Romney, which has questioned whether he would be loyal after his searing criticism of Mr. Trump during the campaign. But Mr. Trump himself has told aides that he believes Mr. Romney “looks the part” and would make a fine secretary of state, a senior Trump official said on Thursday. Mr. Trump, who is always difficult to read and is capable of changing his mind at any minute, has also praised Mr. Giuliani in recent conversations with acquaintances.
--- end extract ---

Ravi: As an Indian living in India, I think the most important position in Mr. Trump's cabinet, after President Trump himself, that would influence India's relations with the USA, is that of Secretary of State. So I am particularly keen to know about this particular decision of president-elect Trump.

I have to say that the very fact that Mr. Trump and Mr. Romney met and have been in serious meetings about this top position in USA govt. which has worldwide impact, shows how top-level political power is about sinking one's differences and even insults/humiliation from others while in election campaign mode, and focusing on what's good for the country. I respect both Trump and Romney for this willingness to forget and perhaps even forgive the rather nasty humilations and insults they have traded with each other as part of this election campaign, in the interests of the good of their country.

I think, as of now at least, I am not capable of such broadmindedness and even nobility, to forget let alone forgive, nasty insults and humiliation that I have faced from others unless they genuinely apologize and/or seek forgiveness. [If they do apologize and seek forgiveness I don't think I have difficulty in forgiving and even almost forgetting the hurt caused.] And I guess that's why I am now a reclusive and independent social media writer on spirituality & religion and some other topics dealing with politics and public policy, instead of being part of an ashram system or part of a spiritual group in an office-bearer kind-of position. And I am very happy with that situation :-).

Live Free or Die, goes the New Hampshire motto, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Free_or_Die, that one could see on vehicle license plates when I was living for about a year and a half totally over two foreign assignment stints, in Nashua, New Hampshire, USA in the second half of the 1980s. Perhaps that motto of Live Free or Die, has been the biggest takeaway for me from my happy and exciting days in Nashua, New Hampshire, when I was young (mid twenties) and rather adventurous. I ***LOVE*** the freedom of being an INDEPENDENT social media writer on spirituality & religion and other topics, living in outside-ashram Puttaparthi town, a small though internationally famous pilgrim town in rural India. The ashram township in Puttaparthi is called Prasanthi Nilayam and provides a protected but, at least to some extent, controlled environment.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about the USA presidential elections. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in these elections.

[I thank nytimes.com and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above short extract from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more