Reports of sickening racist incidents in USA after Trump victory; NYT editorial board asks Trump to denounce the hate

This post has some disturbing content. People who would not like to see it should please skip reading the rest of this post.

Ravi: I do not know how true the reports of sickening racist incidents given below are. But some reports are corroborated with pics (yes, pics can be doctored but...). So I would not be surprised if some of these reported racist incidents usually by white Americans against African-Americans, Latinos/Latino-Americans and Asians/Asian-Americans are true. There is one video clip link of a sickening assault on a white person by young African-Americans as well.

People Share Frightening Images In The Aftermath Of Trump's Victory, http://www.huffingtonpost.in/entry/day-1-trumps-america_us_582497afe4b0cdd5e7e99e86, 10th Nov. 2016

I have reproduced below some of the reports from the above article.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10107983669893399&id=6827758 has the Facebook post of Jennifer Crossley, dated Nov. 10th 2016, whose full content I have given below:

A day after the elections, and this already happens (strong language below):
After work here in good ol' Bloomington, Indiana, me, a black woman trying to cross the street to go to a store got approached by white men in a truck. As they sped their truck up on me, they rolled their window down and yelled, "F*ck you nigger bitch. Trump is going to deport you back to Africa." This just happened less than 24 hours after America voted Trump for president. 24 hours...in my 33 years of life, I've never had blatant racism shown to me than in that moment. So if those that say racism is a thing in the past, I'll be sure to tell you about my experience and the other experiences that other minorities will face in the upcoming days, weeks, months to come. I teach my kids respect and love, but a new day has come and now the "true" Americans will show their true colors.
--- end Facebook post content ---

https://twitter.com/DerrickQLewis/status/796449067723345922/photo/1, dated 9th Nov 2016 has the text, 'Someone spray painted "Black lives don't matter and neither does your votes" on a wall in Durham overnight.' and associated pic of the wall!

[Note that Shaun King, many of whose tweets are given below, seems to be a Black Lives Matter activist in the USA.]
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/797089728336105472, dated 11th Nov. 2016 has pic of a vehicle (small truck) with the slogan "ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS" "DEPORT THEM ALL". The tweet says "This truck is riding around Brooksville, FL scaring people to death."

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/investigation-underway-after-2-racist-signs-posted-above-water-fountains-at-first-coast-high-school/466146633, dated 11th Nov. 2016 has a pic of two water fountains in a Florida school with one having a "Colored" sign and another a "WHITES ONLY" sign! The report states one person saying that the school is investigating but that it appears to be a prank.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/797051337326395392, dated Nov. 10th has a short video clip of students of a Michigan (middle) school loudly chanting "Build the wall".

The same tweet shares a tweet dated Nov. 9th with the text, "So one of my student's aunts had to go pick up her daughter from school today because a boy grabbed her vagina. She's 10. When asked why, he said that if a president can do it, I can too. Day 1. [Angry icon]"

From Facebook post, https://www.facebook.com/BelieveWithn1/posts/10157720502905305 of a person whose profile states she lives in Pennsylvania,
"I WAS finally coming to grips with the stupidity of America. But then some off the wall stuff happened that pissed me right back off.
So I am downtown and a group of white dudes are looking at a woman wearing a dress standing alone minding her business. We all get on the subway. When she walks past the group, one of the men yells grab her by the pussy. One of the dudes literally then tried to touch the woman inappropriately. The woman yelled and the guys laughed. A group of people and I literally threw the 3 dudes off the subway at the Wood Street. America is really thinking this shit is a joke."

https://twitter.com/kmscodi/status/796554667748716545, dated 9th Nov 2016 has a video clip of African-American youngsters kicking and beating a defenceless white man near what appears to be his car, while shouts of "you voted Trump" are heard! Other vehicles pass by without stopping!

https://twitter.com/ijaileene/status/796450089149595648, 9th Nov. 2016 has a video clip of a young African-American girl saying as follows:
Hey, its me. I just got back from class and on my way to class, ah, this guy went out of his way to bump into me and sort of shoved me off the sidewalk. And he said, he said, "No niggers allowed on the sidewalk." And I was just shocked like I had no words. And this other guy behind me, both of them (neither of them I knew). And the other one said like, "Dude, what are you doing. That's not cool." And the guy said, "Dude, like what" and he was like, "I am just trying to make America great again." So, if you voted for Donald Trump, I hope you understand what that means from someone, someone else's point of view.
--- end transcript of video clip---

Another link with a list of such incidents is, Day 1 In Trump's America; A collection of tweets about racist episodes POC are facing now that Trump is our President Elect, https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656.

Some reports from above link are given below.

https://twitter.com/AlexGale/status/796404810010398721, 9th Nov. 2016, "Someone on the streets of LA just yelled at one of my girl's Latina coworkers to "go back where you came from." #TrumpsAmerica".

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/796733128249405441, Nov. 10th has a set of tweets some of whose contents are given below.

This was in Queens, NY. She was asked to go to the back of the bus.

Day 1 of Donald Trump.
[It has an attached pic with the text:] 'I was on the bus and this group of girls from St.Francis Prep get on. They look around and looked at me and said "Aren't you people suppose to be sitting in the back of the bus?" I looked around and saw that there were mainly black and Hispanic people sitting in (the) middle of the bus. I asked this girl to repeat herself and she says "Aren't you supposed to be sitting in the back of the bus now? Like Trump is president!" Please share this with your friends. THIS IS WHAT TRUMP DOES. It hasn't even been a day. PEOPLE THINK IT'S OK TO DO THIS NOW??'

Another tweet in the set goes, "This just happened in Wellsville, NY." and has an attached pic of a slogan on a wall, "MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN" with a Nazi Swastika sign.

The last tweet in the set has, "Principal in Pennsylvania admits white students were chanting:
Cotton Picker, You're a Nigger, Heil Hitler." and has this link, http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/11/students_yelling_cotton_picker_heiling_hitler_at_this_local_school.html#incart_most-read_warren-county_article, of article dated Nov. 8th 2016

https://www.facebook.com/theDuchess28/posts/586427640140, dated Nov. 9th (location Bloomingdale, FL, United States), "Went for a run this morning at 7A. I've been trying to figure out how I feel. CHILDREN high school age screamed at me and told me to go back to AFRICA. CHILDREN people! I'm not throwing a temper tantrum you don't know how it feels to be me if you don't GET how enraged and sad I am right now."

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/796752150827298821, Nov. 10th, has a pic of perhaps Facebook post (not world access) dated Yesterday (9th Nov. 2016?) with the text as given below:
Today....in Napa in my blue state of CA - I experienced first hand the effects of Trump's election. At a gas station, while at my car, a man jumps out of his truck from the pump on the other side of mine - walks towards the car at the pump in front of mine and towards what I realized was a smaller Asian woman. He started yelling at her and I turned abruptly to face and listen. He said "We won. Now get the f*** out of my country" He said it over and over as I saw this poor woman crying - standing stunned - not moving. I ran to her. I threw my arms around her a(nd) turned her into me and my back towards him and sobbed with her. All I could think to say was "I'm so sorry" over and over again as we cried. I felt helpless. He then included me in his rant - saying "You can both get f*** out. We (...)
--- end text of pic in possibly Facebook post ---
The tweet text accompanying the perhaps Facebook post says, "My friends know this woman. Happened in Napa Valley last night at the gas station & left them all in tears."

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/796751463619948544, Nov. 9th? "This happened to Chris yesterday in Simi Valley, CA.

"Do you speak English?"

When the cashier took up for him they called him Bin Laden" This is accompanied with a pic of perhaps a Facebook post of a Chris Yun (Asian person perhaps) which has the text as follows:

I was just at the liquor store to get cigs. And a group of white guys asked me if I can speak English. When I chuckled and ignored them they followed me into 7-11 and said chinks should get out of the country while we still can because a more "pure America is finally going to come back." When the 7-11 clerk asked them to leave they started laughing and called him Bin-Laden and said they'd come back to burn him on a cross. I told them to get the f*** out and they were like "Oh wow he speaks English!" And proceeded to follow me to my car where they were yelling white power.

Good old Simi Valley. Reminds me of the racist white kids in Middle School and High School.
--- end text from perhaps Facebook post pic ---

From the article, Asian Americans Are Now Being Targeted For Harassment After Donald Trump’s Victory, http://nextshark.com/asian-americans-now-targeted-harassment-donald-trumps-victory/, dated Nov. 10th 2016 :

#NotMyPresident fof in Chicago told "get out Chink!" by Trump supporter who almost ran him over...
---
An Asian friend of mine in TX was already called a chink and chased by a bunch of rednecks in MAGA hats "because Trump is president" (from Kikwood, MO).
---
My cousin (born + raised in America) walked past a Trump rally in NYC (where she lives!!!) and was told "go back to your country you chink"
---
-----------------------------------------------

Ravi: I think at least some of the above is true (unless some people are running a massive disinformation campaign). I unequivocally CONDEMN these racist insults and attacks typically by white Americans against "others" AND I also unequivocally CONDEMN the racist assault on the white American Trump supporter by young African-Americans.

I looked up mainstream media/somewhat-well-known media articles for this upsurge in racist insults and attacks/possible attacks. Here are some results:

1) Donald Trump supporters tell immigrants 'The wolves are coming, you are the hunted' as race hate fears rise; Observers warn of an outpouring of hate that might exceed post-Brexit racism, as some Trump supporters revel in video telling 'leftist' immigrants 'The wolves are coming ... And you are the hunted', http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-wins-racist-racism-race-hate-immigrants-nigel-farage-ukip-brexit-post-referendum-a7407951.html, dated Nov. 10th 2016

2) Racist attacks sparked by Donald Trump's US election win; Social media is awash with stories of violence, intimidation, and fear in the wake of the presidential election outcome., http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/racist-attacks-sparked-by-donald-trumps-us-election-win-1590844, Nov. 10th 2016

3) Denounce the Hate, Mr. Trump by THE EDITORIAL BOARD (New York Times), http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/opinion/denounce-the-hate-mr-trump.html, Nov. 10th 2016. A small extract from the article is given below:
Explicit expressions of bigotry and hatred by Trump supporters were common throughout the campaign, and they have become even more intense since his election. On a department-store window in Philadelphia, vandals spray-painted “Sieg Heil 2016” and Mr. Trump’s name written with a swastika. In a Minnesota high-school bathroom, vandals scrawled the Trump campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again,” and next to it, “Go back to Africa.” There are many more reports pouring in of verbal and physical harassment of Muslims, Latinos and other members of minorities. Though not all are verifiable, the atmosphere of intimidation and fear is unquestionably real and will keep growing. Mr. Trump may not be able to stop it by himself, but he must do everything he can.
--- end extract from New York Times article ---

The New York Times editorial board advises USA president-elect Mr. Trump to make a personal plea to those who supported his candidacy (to reject/oppose) "the outpouring of racist, sexist, xenophobic, anti-Semitic and homophobic insults, threats and attacks" which is being associated with Mr. Trump's name.

The article concludes, "In a little more than two months, Donald Trump will take charge of a country of more than 320 million people of all races, ethnicities and religions. Every one of them deserves to live in safety, with dignity."

I thank the New York Times editorial board for this article and its advice to USA president-elect Mr. Trump, and I fully support its advice.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about the USA presidential elections. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me voting in these elections.

[I thank the authors of the various social media posts mentioned above whose extracts I have shared on this post and have presumed that they will not have any objections to my sharing of these extracts, on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever. Similarly I thank the New York Times for the extracts of their article that I have shared above and as these extracts deal with the social cause of fighting racism, sexism and bigotry, and as my post is freely viewable without any financial profit motive whatsoever, I have presumed that they will not have any objection to my sharing these extracts.]

Comments

Archive

Show more