New Yorker article about top Google technical fellows: Jeff Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat

The Friendship That Made Google Huge; Coding together at the same computer, Jeff Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat changed the course of the company—and the Internet, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/12/10/the-friendship-that-made-google-huge, 10th Dec. 2018 issue

Ravi: Pretty computer techie stuff but if you can handle it, then this article is a great read about two of Google's best technical brains. The article states that Jeff Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat are Google Senior Fellows - Level 11, and are Google's first and only Level 11's (as of now). Level 1 is the bottom level IT support staff, according to the article, and level 11 is the highest technical grade/level in Google, as of now.

Dean and Ghemawat used pair-programming technique, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_programming, where both worked together on one computer. As a former programmer/software developer, I find it intriguing that these top technical fellows of Google extensively used pair-programming for their work. I don't think I have ever done pair-programming, though, on many occasions, I have jointly (me and at least one other person) studied code on one computer, especially while debugging. But that's not pair-programming.

Given below is a comment (slightly edited) I made on my Facebook post, https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2359169447632952, associated with this blog post. The comment was made in response to another:

Neither had I heard of him or the other person (Dean and Ghemawat) earlier. But then I have not really been following Google company technical staff related matters. ... Amit Singhal is a noted name for Google Search which I had come across earlier.
----

Comments

Archive

Show more