Human population is concentrated in relatively small portions of countries

I shared the following Facebook post on my Facebook status:
https://www.facebook.com/brightside/posts/1013858462076230 [It points to this web link: https://brightside.me/wonder-places/10-incredibly-interesting-maps-that-prove-our-planet-still-has-plenty-of-uninhabited-places-237060/], Do you think the Earth is overpopulated? Here are 10 maps proving the opposite.

The post has 9 maps giving a 50-50 breakup of population in two differently shaded areas and 1 additional map. The maps are of:
1 & 2) The world - 2 maps
3) Italy
4) Australia
5) United States of America
6) Spain
7) Canada
8) Turkey
9) Northern Africa
10) France

I think the maps quite clearly show the concentration of population of various countries in the world in relatively small portions of their country with most of their country being sparsely populated.

I added the following comment in my Facebook share, https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/1792881427595093 :

Very interesting! If you want to move from a densely populated part of the country you are living in to a sparsely populated part, for most people, that should be possible in theory at least. The hassle is that life in the sparsely populated areas may be more challenging than in the densely populated areas. The challenges may include the very important challenge of less money earning possibilities (both in number of possibilities and quantity of money earning) in sparsely populated (rural) parts of the country.

In India in particular, I think that is the situation. That is why many of India's cities are so densely populated. I was born in and lived for most of the first four decades of my life in Mumbai and surrounding areas (Dombivli), and so I have experienced densely populated cities in India with its benefits and its challenges. I have now been living in (outside ashram) Puttaparthi, a relatively sparsely populated town (though small stretches of its main streets can become pretty densely crowded at times) in a sparsely populated rural area of Andhra Pradesh, for close to fifteen years. So I have seen both sides of life in India, in a densely populated mega city and in a rural relatively sparsely populated town, and have written the above short comment based on my experience.
--- end my Facebook comment ---

I then looked up the net for some maps about population density in India.

Here's wikipedia map based on 2001 India census: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_and_union_territories_of_India_by_population#/media/File:India_population_density_map_en.svg

Mumbai and surrounding areas (where I lived in the past) is shown the brightest red indicating a population density of above 2000 persons per sq. km. The rural area that I live in now (Anantapur district) along with nearby districts, seem to be shown (the districts are not outlined and labelled) in the second lightest shade which corresponds to 100-250 persons per sq. km. In other words, the Puttaparthi mandal (county?) area (beyond the very small outside ashram Puttaparthi town) has one-tenth to one-twentieth or lesser of the population density of Mumbai, as per this map data. I think that sounds correct. Perhaps Puttaparthi mandal (county?) population density could be lesser than one-twentieth of that of Mumbai, but certainly not more that one-tenth of that of Mumbai.

Here is another population density map of India with data from 2011 and a more detail level shading of population density: http://www.geoconcept.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Population_Density2011_Sub-district_India-921x1024.jpg. I think this map's data does not contradict what I have said earlier. But as it does not provide zoom and/or annotation data, I can't be sure.

It is no wonder then that I love to walk around the beyond outside-ashram Puttaparthi town areas. I love to see the large open spaces including agricultural fields, which many times are filled with greenery, as well as the hills. Given below are a few pics of that taken on my evening walk today (21st Sept. 2016) so that readers of this post get an idea of what I am talking about.







Comments

Archive

Show more