Some Hard and Frank Talk by former British PM Tony Blair on current Brexit situation

Tony Blair: No one could responsibly back a no-deal Brexit, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw2qr-J2C7Y, 18 min 33 secs, published by Sky News on 10th Feb. 2019

Around 4 min 30 secs into the video, former British PM Tony Blair, who led the Labour Party in the past, says,
"One of the things I find most curious at one level although I can't get it at another level - when I talk to Labour MPs in Leave constituencies who are backing Brexit, and you will say to them:

'Okay, I know all the problems you have got in your constituencies - Ah.. high levels of unemployment, poor levels of education, poor infrastructure, lack of investment - how do you think Brexit is going to make these problems better?'

And they would usually say, I don't think they are going to make them better. But the people voted for it and therefore I feel I got to vote for it too."

Note that Blair supports a second referendum. I get theimpression that he is of the view that once people realize the possible/foreseen consequences of a Hard Brexit, they may feel it is better to have some continuing relationship with the EU rather than leave it completely (Hard Brexit). The interviewer is of the view that the chance of a second referendum is very poor as the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn (as of now at least) is not for it, and prefers to go for a Soft Brexit. But PM Theresa May and her cabinet seem to have rejected Corbyn's Soft Brexit option and could opt to have a Hard Brexit aka No-deal Brexit (as PM May and cabinet's deal with the EU was rejected by a big margin in the House of Commons).

Blair also says that possibility of rejoining EU a short time after exiting it, is very low (highly unlikely). He says that if Britain gets out of the EU it will be out at least for a generation.

Ravi: I have to confess that I like Tony Blair's style of speech. I find him to be frank and effective. BTW I have no idea about his role in the Iraq war and the WMD thing (which was not there/not found) and so I am not commenting about that at all. I have seen/read some speeches/articles of Tony Blair or his foundation, on faith and really liked them.

I thoroughly enjoyed Blair's remarks regarding general election. At around 5:45, Blair says, "The question is: what is in the interest of the country? And the country voted to Leave. But it didn't vote as to what form of Brexit. And its a bit like having a general election where the question is, do you like the government? If that was the question, very few governments would get re-elected."

I had a big laugh at that. That is so true, I think. I recall reading that former Indian Prime Minister P.V. Narasimha Rao had said that if husband and wife have a fight over some family matter, they end up blaming the Prime Minister for the problem! Ha! Ha! So true, I think. The siting PM in a democratic country with free speech where criticism of the PM is not only allowed but protected by law, becomes the favourite punching bag of the people, for all sorts of problems they may encounter in life!

Blair continues, "Governments get re-elected when it is: Do you like the government or do you prefer the opposition? And this is why what is important is that before we leave, we get the clarity." Blair means clarity on what form of Brexit the British people want. And I think that's where his second referendum comes in but I am not sure as I have not read up on Blair's second referendum views in detail.

Blair is also asked about possibility of hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland if Hard Brexit option is taken. Note that Blair was PM when the 1998 Northern Ireland peace agreement was done which has brought in peace in Northern Ireland since then. His views are that a Hard Brexit would result in a Hard Border between Northern Ireland and (Republic of) Ireland and that could create a lot of bitterness and other problems.

Comments

Archive

Show more