USA opioid addiction problem, in significant part, may be due to overprescription of Fentanyl by USA doctors

US doctors overprescribed deadly drug fentanyl to patients, https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/02/20/19/us-doctors-overprescribed-deadly-drug-fentanyl-to-patients, 20th Feb. 2019

A small quote from above article:
"Fentanyl, a highly dangerous painkiller at the heart of the US opioid epidemic, has been overprescribed by doctors, according to a report Tuesday that accused health authorities and manufacturers of being too lax in their oversight."

Ravi: This seems to be the unpleasant truth about, at least, a significant part of the USA opioid epidemic.

One of the main reasons why I am following this USA opioid epidemic tragedy is due to my concern about how it has impacted people in New Hampshire, USA. I have very happy memories of my stay in Nashua, New Hampshire in the second half of the 1980s, across two assignment stints for perhaps 18 months or so (for a short time I lived in Massachusetts and for the entire two stints I was working in Wang Labs, Lowell, Massachusetts).

I was deeply troubled when I first heard of New Hampshire being impacted badly by the opioid epidemic when I was following the 2016 USA Presidential election campaigns. I hope and pray that New Hampshire and other parts of the USA overcome this tragedy and get out of the trap of the opioids.

What is very tragic in this USA opioid epidemic is that there are credible reports that USA doctors overprescribed the deadly opioid drug Fentanyl. Now drug manufacturers may have provided faulty information or information that did not highlight dangers of Fentanyl, which may have led to some USA doctors to prescribe Fentanyl in cases where it should not have been prescribed. So who is exactly at fault is not easy to determine here.

But what is clear is that the ordinary USA citizen, including those from New Hampshire, would have trusted the doctor (and drug manufacturing industry and US govt. oversight bodies), and started taking Fentanyl when prescribed by the doctors. And that led to some becoming opioid addicts! My God! I still am so freaked out by this.

My prayers to God to help the opioid addicts in New Hampshire in particular, and USA in general, to recover from their opioid addiction. My prayers to God for giving strength to the family and friends of opioid addicts, to face this crisis and help the opioid addict.

Comments

Archive

Show more