Sad to know about part of Mumbai's Aarey forest trees being cut down for Metro project; My delightful and ananda-ful memories of auto rides through Aarey forest

SC stays tree-felling at Aarey till October 21, but 98% (that Metro project wanted to cut) already cut, https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/sc-stays-tree-felling-at-aarey-till-october-21-but-98-already-cut/articleshow/71485076.cms, 8th Oct. 2019

Quite regularly in the 90s while I was living in Dombivli (after 93/94 if I recall correctly), and sometimes in the late 80s as well, I used to, while travelling by Auto, often take the shortcut via Aarey forest, connecting my workplace area SEEPZ in Andheri (E) (Mumbai) to Powai thereby avoiding the need to go through the crowded road from Chakala junction in Andheri (East) to Saki Naka and then from Saki Naka to Powai (and back). If I recall correctly, this was prior to a new municipal corporation (toll-free) road being constructed that connected Western Express Highway to Powai and which ran just behind SEEPZ, which achieved the same shortcut goals.

Note that I would travel by local train from Dombivli to Kanjur Marg (and back). Kanjur Marg railway station is close to Powai.

The Aarey forest road, if I recall correctly, was a toll road.

I would ***thoroughly enjoy*** the auto ride through Aarey forest, especially in the monsoon season. Great canopies of trees, lush greenery especially in the monsoon, clean air, very few people ... It was a great treat to be so close to nature even if it was only perhaps 20 minutes or so of auto drive, while being in Mumbai city, a forest not of trees but of concrete buildings, tar roads, railways and lots & lots & lots of people!

Even today, I have many delightful and ananda-ful memories of auto rides through the Aarey forest road. Note that the auto is open at the sides of both passenger and driver. One could sit on one side of the passenger seat (many times, I would be the only passenger) and just take in the forest environment!

I have taken auto rides during heavy downpour of rains through Aarey forest (Mumbai rains can be just awesome in the amount of water that is poured down from the skies). Heavy rain with lots of sound effects, empty road, auto going at a good speed, lush greenery including canopy of trees over the road - wonderful and unforgettable experiences!!

I looked on youtube for a video about driving through Aarey forest. Got the one given below. Note that I travelled regularly only on some part of the Aarey forest road. In some parts of the video, I was able to see road stretches with green cover similar to what I have mentioned about my recollections above. But some parts of the video show a lot of additional material development (some concrete structures) which were not there in the stretch of the road that I used then. If I recall correctly, it was just toll & guard booth at entry and exit and one circular structure at a T junction. Rest of the part of the road that I would use then, was just free of all such structures!

#saveaarey | Driving in aarey| MAITRI GADA| Mumbai, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd4ah8iTf-8, 4 min. 44 secs, published on 5th Oct. 2019.

This video gives a biker's view. I have seen parts of it (plan to see the whole later on).
Aarey Colony, Mumbai | A Jungle Within City #SaveAarey #SaveNature, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_q1rF7ZQ4, 14 min. 35 secs. published on 15th April 2019.

Comments

Archive

Show more