US Senator Ted Cruz interview in India; My views on some of the points raised

The Hindu of 13th Oct. 2019 carried an interview of US Senator Ted Cruz when he was in Delhi recently. I had not come across info. that Senator Cruz was visiting Delhi or else I would have put up a Facebook post welcoming him to India (though he or his office would surely not have read it even if I had put it up). As he was a candidate for nominee for Republican Party for US president in 2016 campaign, and I followed that campaign, as an informal student of US politics, in quite some detail over the Internet, I have seen a lot of videos of Senator Cruz while on that campaign (and also a few videos later in his role as Senator).

Senator Cruz also participated in the PM Modi Indian-American event in Houston, Texas, USA recently, along with President Trump and many other US political leaders. I think that was a very good gesture from US top political leaders towards India.

Senator Cruz serves on the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Here's The Hindu interview: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/china-is-the-most-significant-geopolitical-threat-us-senator-ted-cruz/article29668129.ece, 13th Oct. 2019

Here are my views, as an Indian citizen and resident, on some points discussed in the interview:

I think India should be sensitive to US concerns about Huawei and its 5G infrastructure products and services. USA is a very valuable friend of India now and so I think India should not involve Huawei in India's 5G work. China may not like that but India should manage that.

However, when it comes to military alliance, India has traditionally been non-aligned and that should continue. I fully support India seeking deeper and long-lasting relations with USA as we share so many common values now with democracy being perhaps the biggest common value, and have strong people-to-people contacts. However, I strongly feel that India should continue its friendly relations with Russia which is a time-tested relationship and India should seek friendship with China and not seek to provoke any military tension with China.

Comments

Archive

Show more