Mad Time Pass song from 1977 Superhit Hindi film, Amar Akbar Anthony - My name is Anthony Gonsalves; Some other songs from that film

Kishore Kumar sings it in a suitably mad way. That was a rare genius that Kishore Kumar had. Amitabh acts it out very well. Not the angry young man role which is how he burst onto Hindi film stardom, but as a mad, crazy in love guy with lots of self-deprecating slapstick comedy.

I saw the movie either in 1977 or 1978, if I recall correctly, when I would have been 15 or 16 years old. But I have such vivid recollection of having seen this movie then. It was a multi-starrer - 3 top heroes and 3 heroines and a pretty good villain cast as well. It also had a multi-faith harmony theme with the three heroes being raised in Christian, Islam and Hindu faiths. I think it was advertised very heavily. It was produced and directed by Manmohan Desai and was the highest-grossing Indian film of the year. For more on the movie, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amar_Akbar_Anthony

Here's the song: Around 5 mins, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl2T-Itb7WQ
----

In the same film, Mohd. Rafi sahab sings with gusto and Rishi Kapoor plays the feisty Qawwali singer in love role well. ... Some slapstick here too. Longish song, over 8 mins, "Parda hai parda", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBEUOZ1-_gE
----

Here's the Shirdi Sai song in the same film, sung by Mohd. Rafi sahab, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwS1UOSSM4, 5 min. 37 secs. This was my first big exposure to Shirdi Sai Baba (when I was 15 or 16 years old). I did not develop any devotion to him then but I came to know of him as a really noted figure. I mean, I would have heard of him earlier but not considered him to be that important. This film song made him an important and noted figure for me.

Little did I know that around 18 or so years later, this Shirdi Sai Baba and his later Avatar, Sathya Sai Baba, would play such a dominant role in my later life! Such is the great mystery of life!
----

Comments

Archive

Show more