Worrying statements from former USA Secretary of State, John Kerry, about CO2 levels in the world today (higher than safe) in recent USA Congress hearing

Ravi: I am sharing this video ***ONLY*** for sharing the concerns about high CO2 levels aired by a top former USA presidential administration person. I am publicly politically neutral about USA politics and so it is NOT a Democrat vs Republican thing for me.

High CO2 levels in the world impacts the whole world including my country India. So I am alarmed by John Kerry's statements about high CO2 levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRBfM709Yqc, 5 min. 21 secs, published by CNN on 9th April 2019

Ravi: BTW I have a first class Bachelor of Science (Physics) degree from Bombay University (now Mumbai University). I do find the statements made by John Kerry (who says in the video clip that he has a Bachelor of Arts (Political Science) degree from Yale university) as something which seems logical and based on scientific data. I am saying seems as I would need to know the references used by John Kerry for his statements to confirm whether they are leading and reputed science sources. But I am quite sure that John Kerry would have been quoting from reputed scientific sources.

Kerry says CO2 level is 406 parts per million (ppm) (on or around the day of the hearing which seems to be 9th April 2019) with scientists saying 350 ppm is dangerous (perhaps beginning of danger zone). [http://400.350.org/ says 350 ppm CO2 level is safe, implying that higher levels are unsafe.]

The Congressman, Thomas Massie, questioning Kerry may also have strong scientific basis for what he said about CO2 levels being very high (an average of thousand ppm) in the distant past on earth. But I think John Kerry seemed to answer that part well when he said that humans were not on the planet then.

High CO2 levels are a very worrying thing today. As a science graduate and a former software technologist, I think it seems to be an ***existential*** threat for humanity. Once again, I am saying seems as I have not myself studied the topic in depth and confirmed the scientific sources which have raised the alarm. But I have read many articles in mainstream media by science writers who have raised the alarm of high CO2 levels, and so think that we need to pay serious attention to what the scientists are saying in this regard.

P.S. Just saw that Congressman Thomas Massie (Republican - Kentucky) who was questioning former Secretary of State John Kerry, has a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (a top level world renowned engineering education institution), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Massie.

Comments

Archive

Show more