UK gets time from EU till 31st Oct. to decide on Brexit; Seems to be reasonable decision by EU countries' top leaders

Interesting! UK gets more time for Brexit. I think this seems to be a reasonable decision hammered out by top leaders of the countries that make up the EU.

Democracy may be slow and cumbersome. But I love this transparency of democracy. To a large extent, citizens know which top leader said what in these meetings that take such top decisions.

And the UK Parliament's efforts in this regard are on full public display not only to the UK and the EU, but to the wider world (including this writer-guy in India).

Perhaps an autocratic regime may have done better. But it could have done worse too! An autocratic regime would have arrived at the decision much faster. But it could have arrived at a bad decision and provided an inaccurate picture to citizens about how and why they arrived at the bad decision. That's the big danger of autocratic regimes. A good and noble autocracy is perhaps a great system of governance. But the history of the world teaches us that such good and noble autocracies are a rarity and are far outnumbered by bad and abusive autocracies.

So I am still all for democracy even if Brexit democratic process has been a pretty painful one to watch even for (Internet based) observers from non-European countries like me (from India)! I should add that I have spent a total of around 18 months in (Western) Europe over separate trips in the second half of 80s and early 90s, and that I still have contact with some Europeans. I consider myself to be a well wisher of Europe.

Brexit: UK and EU agree delay to 31 October, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47889404, 11th April 2019

Comments

Archive

Show more