Bernie Sanders vs. General Electric CEO Jeffrey Immelt

In my international software industry days, I recall that General Electric, GE in short, was referred to as God's Enterprises. It was that big a company and had that big a reputation. So I found these USA Senator Bernie Sanders vs. General Electric Chairman & CEO Mr. Jeffrey Immelt arguments to be quite fascinating.

In TRANSCRIPT: Bernie Sanders meets with the Daily News Editorial Board, April 1, 2016, http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/transcript-bernie-sanders-meets-news-editorial-board-article-1.2588306,
we have Sen. Sanders saying,
"And General Electric, doing a very good job avoiding the taxes. In fact, in a given year, they pay nothing in taxes. That's greed. That is greed and that’s selfishness. That is lack of respect for the people of this country."

In GE CEO: Bernie Sanders says we’re ‘destroying the moral fabric’ of America. He’s wrong., https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ge-ceo-bernie-sanders-says-were-destroying-the-moral-fabric-of-america-hes-wrong/2016/04/06/8499bc8c-fc23-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html,
we have Mr. Jeffrey Immelt writing,
"Sanders has stated many times that GE pays no taxes. Repeating a lie over and over does not make it true. We pay billions in taxes, including federal, state and local taxes."

The articles touch upon various other points as well (e.g. The NY Daily News asks Sen. Sanders how he would break up JPMorgan Chase!!!) For those interested in such stuff, I think both the articles may be well worth their time. I found them to be of great interest.

Please note that I have a NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about the USA presidential elections. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me voting in these elections.

[I thank nydailynews.com and washingtonpost.com and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above very short extracts from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more