Rahul Gandhi shares visiting Afghanistan Members of Parliament reaction to screaming & yelling in Indian Parliament

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY POLITICALLY NEUTRAL role in these social media posts that I put up related to Indian political leaders which may include leaders in government currently and those not in government. I am an Indian citizen and resident of India. I do vote in Indian elections but I keep who I vote for as a private matter. I should also say that I am a beneficiary, a lover and an open supporter of democracy in India.

I made this comment on the shared post below of Rahul Gandhi, leader of the Congress party which is the main opposition party in India now:

Thank you very much for sharing this experience, sir. I think what the Afghan visitors said is the plain and brutal truth. And Afghanistan is not too far away from India! Democracy, IMHO, is one of the great benefits we got from European colonization in India despite that colonization resulting in terrible economic exploitation of India.

As an early 1960s born Indian, I am a beneficiary, a lover and an open supporter of democracy in India. My view is that our democracy is one of our greatest strengths and we must defend it vigourously.

=============================================

Content of shared post (text and pic) of Rahul Gandhi, https://www.facebook.com/rahulgandhi/posts/629433870824338 dated 16th Jan. 2019 is given below.

One day, in our Parliament, I saw a group of MPs from Afghanistan sitting in the visitors' gallery.

And, I was thinking, "these MPs have come from abroad and look what we are doing: we are shouting and screaming and yelling. At least when they are here why can't this place be in order?"

Later these MPs visited me in my office and I said to them "I am sorry that you were sitting in the visitors' gallery and we were not having a nice debate. We were sort of having an argument."

And, then, one of the MPs started crying!

I was a bit surprised.

I asked her “what happened?”.

"You know, Mr. Gandhi," she said, "in my country the arguments that you have in this building, your parliament, are carried out with guns."

Our democracy is our greatest strength. We must defend it at any cost.




[I thank Shri Rahul Gandhi and have presumed that he will not have any objections to me sharing the above post text and pic from his Facebook pages on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more