Gulabi Aankhen Jo Teri Dekhi - Mohd. Rafi, RD Burman 1970 hit romantic song with racy music

Last updated on 28th Dec. 2016

Here's the GREAT Mohammad Rafi sahab singing an awesome hit romantic song with racy music, Gulabi Aankhen Jo Teri Dekhi, of the 1970 Hindi movie, The Train. Song writer - Anand Bakshi, Music producer - Rahul Dev Burman.

Gulabi Aankhen Jo Teri Dekhi, Audio only, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdHB8S15Co, 3 min. 18 secs.

Ravi: I have to say that Mohammad Rafi sahab was my favourite singer during my young adult days of 1980s and early 1990s. What a voice! What feeling he could give to a song! I loved Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar too who were perhaps even more popular than Rafi. But I have to say that Rafi sahab was my favourite. I still remember a music program in my college [Ruia college, Matunga, Bombay] days in the early 1980s where a Mohd. Rafi voice impersonator sang great Rafi songs in a program titled, 'Ek Shaam Rafi ke Naam' [One evening in the name of Rafi]. Rafi died in July 1980 and this program may have been held a year or two later in a gathering near Matunga (Central) railway station. The impersonator had done an awesome job then of singing like Rafi and I think the audience was blown away given that Rafi sahab had somewhat recently passed away leaving all of his fans (including me) mourning. It was a very moving occasion.

The initial lines and my (rather literal) English translation of them are given below:

Gulaabi aankhen jo teri dekhi - When I saw your rosy (beautiful) eyes

Sharaabi yeh dil ho gaya - My heart got intoxicated (alcholic intoxication)

Sambhaalo mujhko o mere yaaron - Oh my friends! Help stablize/support me

Sambhalna mushkil ho gaya - It has become difficult to be stable (e.g. stand straight)
---

Here are the full lyrics of the song, http://www.glamsham.com/music/lyrics/the-train-(1970)/gulaabi-aankhen-jo-teri-dekhi/3128/10191.htm.

And here is Sonu Nigam singing it in London (in 2008, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafi_Resurrected) with a Western orchestra (City of Birmingham Symphony orchestra) providing the music! Sonu Nigam - Gulabi Aankhein Jo Teri Dekhi - Rafi Resurrected - An Evening In London, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g1M2ZqFz6E, 3 min. 59 secs. I think the Western orchestra did a pretty good job of playing the R.D. Burman racy music composition of the song. And Sonu Nigam was quite good at singing the song like Mohammad Rafi sahab.
====================================================

Readers may want to see my related post, Bollywood pop music sophistication of 2000s was way, way ahead of 1970s Bollywood pop music; Reflects growth in prosperity of Mumbai, https://ravisiyermisc.blogspot.com/2016/12/bollywood-pop-music-sophistication-of.html.

Comments

Archive

Show more