Why do I provide link URLs as directly visible content in my blog posts?

I provide link URLs as directly visible content in my blog posts as shown in an example below:

I think that is a reasonable assumption as Kalyan and Sopara of Thane district seem to have been more well known than Mumbai in this period. If this assumption is right then the rulers of Kalyan in this time would be same as in my blog post: Chronological list of empire/kingdom level rulers of Mumbai (Bombay) and nearby areas from 3rd century BCE (over 2000 years ago), https://ravisiyermisc.blogspot.com/2022/10/chronological-list-of-empirekingdom.html , October 2022. 

--- end example ---

Some readers may wonder why I do it that way instead of simply linking the url to the title of the post/page as follows: Chronological list of empire/kingdom level rulers of Mumbai (Bombay) and nearby areas from 3rd century BCE (over 2000 years ago) (note that the url is not directly visible on the post). 

To explain to such readers why I provide link URLs as directly visible content, I decided to put up this post.

The backup facilities provided by Blogger and WordPress backs up blog posts data in an XML file that inserts lot of XML tags and so the posts are not conveniently readable by programs like the browser. The conveniently readable backup of my blog posts are typically pdf files generated as print of blog posts from a browser program (like Chrome) or a blog book maker/generator program. These pdf files when viewed in a browser do provide links and so the reader can visit the associated links by clicking on them without the URL being directly visible (Chrome shows the URL in left bottom of window when the mouse moves over the link, and other browsers would provide the same info. in some way, and so I say the URL is indirectly visible). However, if the pdf file is printed on paper as a set of blog posts or as a full blog book, then the printed pages do not show the link URLs as additional text in their output. So the readers of such printed blog pages or blog books will have no idea of what the links actually go to (URLs/href attribute of anchor element) and see only the text part (anchor element text). To fix this issue, I decided to provide link URLs as visible content in my blog posts, due to which the printed blog pages or printed blog books have the link URLs as text which the reader can read and type out in a browser to visit the link.

Comments