VBA code to read XML structure of blogger blog entries in export file - Test version

Last updated on 9 Sep. 2023 

9 Sep. 2023 Update: I rarely use the software covered in this post now. To see the current software for creating Blogger blogbooks that I use, please visit: Short User Guide to creating Blogger Blogbooks from Backup/Export File using ExportFileFilterAndGenBook and another VBA projects' macros/code (free and open source), https://ravisiyermisc.blogspot.com/2023/09/short-user-guide-to-creating-blogger.html .

end-Update 9 Sep. 2023

I decided to put up and publish this post now on 22 Jul 2023 while this work is in progress, as I wanted to ensure that whatever work I have done till now is available for interested readers. 

I am learning about XML structure of Blogger blog export files and how to read it programatically using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). In the course of that, I wrote a macro BlogExportFileEntriesXMLStructureToLog() and related macros which goes through a Blogger blog export file and produces a log file having XML structure of the key entry item (don't know the right term for it; tag?, element?) XML nodes and its top-level child nodes. I found it very helpful to understand the underlying structure of the export file, and also about the VBA code to access it.

Here's the folder share for this macro: ExportFileXMLStructureToLog,  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ox32JK97-6G9sntM5HRV__Ek1mZwYom5?usp=drive_link .

The macro code is copy-pasted into Macro-CreateExportXMLStructureLog-VBACode.txt (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oi-iRSIKXFdwAIFhpcXLC3pMzEzK5tih/view?usp=drive_link ). After uploading it, I removed the Word 2007 document having the macros ( Macro-CreateExportXMLStructureLog.docm ) as Google Drive flags it (due to VBA macro code in it). 

The VBA code has 3 subs:

  • BlogExportFileEntriesXMLStructureToLog - the main function/sub.
  • DriverXMLStructureToLog - invokes BlogExportFileEntriesXMLStructureToLog
  • DriverXMLStructureToLogPromptInput  - invokes BlogExportFileEntriesXMLStructureToLog

For testing, I used the export file I had of one of my small blogger blogs -  20230523-tns-blog.xml . The output produced is in file: 20230523-tns-blog-exportfile-XMLStructure.txt .

I also ran the macro on an export file of a larger blog of mine. I have not uploaded the input file in above folder but the output generated is uploaded: 20230623-ravisiyermisc-blog-exportfile-XMLStructure.txt .

Comments

Archive

Show more