USA Civil Rights leader and icon John Lewis passes away at 80; I found John Lewis to be an inspirational figure

[USA] Georgia congressman John Lewis dead at 80, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXxCwteFXBs, 4 min. 44 secs, published on 18th July 2020 by ABC News.

First my standard politically neutral statement: Please note that I have a PUBLICLY (POLITICALLY) NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about USA politics. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in USA elections. I am a well-wisher of the people of the USA.

Over the past few years as I watched USA Congress' publicly shared debates & hearings on contentious matters, and saw how policy decisions got passed in USA federal administration (Congress + President), I have seen a little of bit of Congressman John Lewis. I was very impressed with the little bit that I saw of him.

I learned later that he was with Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in the fight for civil rights for African-Americans in the 1960s. So he represented a living legacy of that awesome ***non-violent*** struggle of African-Americans for civil rights in the USA, led by the charismatic Rev. Martin Luther King.

The above ABC News video shares pics of young John Lewis with Rev. King, and how Lewis was beaten and jailed for participating in those agitations. I have shared a screenshot of the video showing young John Lewis next to Rev. King.



I think John Lewis is an inspirational figure for those who are activists and supporters of social justice movements, not only in USA, but elsewhere in the world too.

My prayers to God to shower His Grace on the soul of Congressman John Lewis.

Comments

Archive

Show more