Simple and useful 'Pedometer - Step Counter' Android app for measuring walking exercise

Last updated on 22nd Jan. 2020

Today on my walk, I tried out this Android app. named Pedometer - Step Counter, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tayu.tau.pedometer&hl=en_GB, on my low-cost LYF phone. I think it did a good job. Note that it senses when a step has been made if the phone is in our hand or pocket while walking (or running too, I guess).

I started the counting slightly after I began my walk and ended it after coming home (if I recall correctly, the app documentation recommends keeping it on all the time but I don't want to do that). The screenshot below gives the measures.



Steps taken is given as: 7727. I have kept the sensitivity (of measuring steps) as the default high. I think the actual steps may be 5 to 10% lesser.

Each step length for me is around 68 cm (which is close to the, if I recall correctly, app. default of 27 inches - 68.58 cm).

7727 * 0.68 (m) gives 5,254.36‬ m or 5.254 km which is what the screenshot shows (as expected).

I think the walking distance figure may be 5 kms but I am not so good at estimating distances and so I could be slightly off.

I should also mention that the time of 1 hr. 15 mins for the walk seems to have automatically detected the few breaks I took (as there were no footsteps then which it would have sensed) and not included that in the time for the walk.
====================================
22nd Jan. 2020 Update

Readers may want to read a recent follow up post on another blog of mine: Nice rural walking route in Puttaparthi; Pedometer data update, https://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2020/01/nice-rural-walking-route-in-puttaparthi.html.

Comments

Archive

Show more