In his book, James Comey presents a good account of his actions in 2016 USA elections as FBI director

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY (POLITICALLY) NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about USA politics. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in USA elections.

I have been reading former USA FBI director James Comey's "A Higher Loyalty" book in fits and bursts. I just finished chapter 11, 'Speak or Conceal'. I had finished reading chapter 10, 'Roadkill', a few days ago. These two chapters deal with his actions as FBI director in the Hillary Clinton email investigation which played a significant role in the 2016 USA presidential campaign. If I recall correctly, Hillary Clinton even views James Comey's public announcements about the investigation as a key reason for her surprising defeat in the 2016 elections.

Comey also covers other investigations related to the 2016 elections like the foreign interference and possibility (then in 2016) of one of Donald Trump's campaign staff being involved in that foreign interference.

My view of these two chapters is that James Comey presents a good account of his actions in this very controversial matter. I am not saying that his decisions were correct. I simply do not know enough about these matters to arrive at such a judgement. Many have challenged his decisions as bad ones.

However, Comey puts up a good defense of his actions and also is willing to accept that some others in his shoes may have acted somewhat differently. The impression I have is that even if Comey did make some bad decisions they were not with an intent to tilt the election either in Donald Trump's favour or in Hillary Clinton's favour.

I am quite convinced based on these two chapters and whatever else I had read and viewed earlier about this matter, that Comey ****did not intentionally**** side with either Trump or Clinton. He tried to do his job as best as he could and in a politically unbiased way.

Towards the end of chapter 11, Comey mentions a short private meeting with President Obama in November 2016 after the election. Obama tells Comey, "I picked you to be FBI director because of your integrity and your ability." "I want you to know that nothing - nothing - has happened in the last year to change my view."

Comey writes that Obama was not telling him that he (Obama) agreed with his (Comey) decisions but that Obama understood where those decisions came from.

Comey writes, "Boy, were those words I needed to hear. I felt a wave of emotion, almost to the verge of tears".

Comey then tells President Obama, "That means a lot to me, Mr. President. I have hated the last year. The last thing we want is to be involved in an election. I'm just trying to do the right thing."

[I thank James Comey and have presumed that he and his book publisher will not have any objections to me sharing the above short extracts from his book on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more