Hype or genuine? Violence related allegation in USA presidential campaign

Last updated on 13th August 2016

I am confused about this matter. But it is a hot topic now in this USA presidential race, and so I felt I should post some info. on it.

The matter is about some remarks made by Mr. Donald Trump about 2nd Amendment rights (gun rights) and (former) Secretary Hillary Clinton, which some say can be viewed as an incitement to violence against Hillary Clinton. So the allegation is on a very serious matter. But the question is whether the allegation itself is a wild one.

Here's Mr. Trump's tweet text on it, "Media desperate to distract from Clinton's anti-2A stance. I said pro-2A citizens must organize and get out vote to save our Constitution!", https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/763198483927011329, 7.21 PM, 9th Aug. 2016

Here's an LATimes article on it, www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-guns-clinton-20160809-snap-story.html.

It quotes Trump as saying, "Hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish the 2nd Amendment" "If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the 2nd Amendment people —  maybe there is, I don’t know."

The article also quotes USA Speaker Paul Ryan on the above matter, "It sounds like just a joke gone bad" "I hope he clears it up very quickly. You should never joke about something like that."

The article mentions one Democratic leader, Sen. Christopher S. Murphy of Connecticut, viewing it as an assassination threat!!!

But the article has Republican leader, former New York Mayor, Rudolph Guiliani saying that such suggestions were corrupt efforts by the Clinton campaign (in other words, Guiliani says Trump never meant it as a call to harm Clinton).

Ravi: Hmm. I find it terribly sad that this USA presidential election has become such a toxic race. I do earnestly wish that the two leading candidates, Trump and Clinton, work together to ensure that such suggestions of violence on any candidate, are scotched very quickly.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about the USA presidential elections. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me voting in these elections.

=========================
Update on 13th August 2016

Came across the venerable Dan Rather's (ex CBS) August 10th post on this matter, https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/posts/10157249295185716. I think it is a must read short post for democracy lovers (in today's context).

[I thank latimes.com and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above short quotes of USA leaders from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more