5V 2A Mini UPS possibility for Thinvent Micro 5 Linux mini PC and H96 Max Android TV box

Note: Readers may want to see: 

Micro5 AC adapter output is 5V 2A (5VDC - 2Amp.)
H96Max AC adapter output is 5V 2A.

The standard mini-UPS models seem to be 12V or 9V DC types which are used for routers. 
But there seems to be at least one 5V DC option too: Starwatt 5V 2A Mini UPS – Uninterrupted Power Backup for WiFi Routers, Cameras, Biometrics, Arduino & More | 3-10 Hours Backup | Replaceable Battery, https://starwatt.in/product/5v-2a-mini-ups/ . It is priced at Rs.1499, with 1 yr warranty, and its replacement battery is advertised at Rs.899 “With Reverse-Pickup across India”.

I saw a strange video of a powerbank being used to power up a TV box via normal USB cable. I did not dig into it and the video was not very clear. I also saw some USB to 5V DC cables available on amazon.in,  https://www.amazon.in/CARE-CASE%C2%AE-1-35mm-Barrel-Connector/dp/B0CLS6D76X/ for Rs.249 but I don’t know how safe it is to use in this context. Note that if it is safe, a powerbank can be used as a sort-of mini UPS to provide assured power for some time to Micro 5 or H96 Max during which time work like software package updates can be done. My Ambrane small powerbank or whatever that’s called has output of 5V/2.4A (one setting, IFIRC).

Note that both Micro 5 and H96 Max can be used as an Internet Kiosk without local disk file writes, without a UPS. After a sudden powercut while they are being used in above manner, they can simply be restarted on power being restored, at which time they should operate normally. In my recent tests on these devices, that was what I saw. In such usage of these devices (without UPS), one can use programs that store data online like Gmail or Google Docs to minimize data loss on powercut.

But for software updates as data will be written to disk of these devices, there would be a risk of data corruption on powercut, I think. I am not sure but I presume there could be some issues. I did not want to test such cases as I did not want to risk putting the device into some inoperable state. So for software updates and other similar activity where data is written to device disk, the safe thing to do would be to use a UPS at that time. Note that UPS would be necessary only for such work on these devices. Otherwise they can be operated on voltage stabilizer, I think, based on my recent tests.

Comments

Archive

Show more