Just finished reading John Bolton's 'The Room Where It Happened' having lot of interesting info. about major international security matters in 2018 & 2019

Over the past two months or so, in fits & bursts, I have been reading former National Security Adviser (NSA) to former President Trump, John Bolton's, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bolton, book: 'The Room Where It Happened' - 'A White House Memoir', https://www.amazon.in/Room-Where-Happened-White-Memoir/dp/1982148039,  about his stint as NSA from April 2018 to Sept. 2019.

My objective of reading the book was to know more about how USA, the most powerful military power in the world today, handled peace & security crises that broke out in various places in the world in this period.

Note that I am publicly politically neutral and also largely country-neutral (except for countries that have clashes with Indian armed forces in current times) and my interest in reading the book was to know more about such stuff as I am very much interested in promoting and having more peace & harmony in the world. As an example, the tension between USA & North Korea in initial period of President Trump's term was very scary. That it got toned down later on was a very good thing, IMHO. This book covers the meetings that President Trump had with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and John Bolton's view of these meetings and related matters, which were of great interest to me.

I was not disappointed in getting to know more about vital international peace & security related events/matters in President Trump's administration, during this period, from the perspective of John Bolton.

Of course, the book does not include information that is secret (classified) as per USA laws/rules. But even the non-secret info. shared by Bolton in this book gives one a lot of inner view of happenings in this period.

Former President Trump was against the book being published but freedom of speech laws in USA seem to be so strong that he could not prevent it being published. To be honest, I can understand former President Trump being upset with the book. I mean the book was relating events that happened just one or two years back. He naturally would have wanted it to be confidential.

I don't know whether such level of freedom of speech is good or bad. But the book sure was interesting to read.

My mind goes back to late 1980s when, during one of my software assignment stints in USA, along with colleagues I visited the area outside the White House (and viewed the White House from outside), and also visited Lincoln Memorial (in Washington DC). I was in my mid twenties then.

I find it quite astonishing that slightly over 3 decades later, sitting in a rural town in India, I am writing a public post on a book I read about happenings in the same White House in 2018 & 2019 related to major international security issues!

Comments