2020 USA Presidential Election: Votes have to be counted in a democracy; Disputes over legality of votes have to be fought and settled in courts of law, and NOT on streets by muscle-power/gun-power

I have lived all my life, including around 3 years totally of assignment stints abroad in Western Europe, USA and South Korea, in democracies. I was born in India in 1962 and have lived most of my life in India, a relatively-newer democracy, as compared to many democratic countries in Western Europe, and USA.

India's democracy does have many challenges including a lot of muscle-power and financial-power issues. I was a school going kid when Indian democracy came under its darkest days - "The Emergency" declared by then Prime Minister Smt. Indira Gandhi from 25th June 1975 to 21st March 1977, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emergency_(India). Barring that dark period, from 1947 when India gained independence, Indian democracy, despite some of its muscle-power and financial-power issues, has held together even as some neighbouring countries lapsed from democracy into military dictatorship rule, and then got back into democracy. China, a neighbouring country of India, is a big exception to this as it has been a communist authoritarian country right from around 1950.

I cherish the blessing of having lived all of my life in democratic countries and view myself as a grateful beneficiary of democracy. So I love democracy and as a blogger/social media writer, I am an open supporter of democracy. I should also say that it is this life led in free democratic countries that paved the way for me to become a blogger/social media writer from the second half of 2011.

Given this background, I felt I should give my view on the controversy raised by USA President Trump that voter fraud has been, and continues to be, committed in USA's presidential election this year. Legal challenges have been made by the president's team and that I think is fine. Let the courts decide.

But President Trump also said: "STOP THE COUNT!", https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324353932022480896, 5th Nov. 2020, 7:42 PM. His argument seems to be that some of the mail-in ballots are fraudulent and it is these ballots (along with some others like absentee ballots) that were, and continue to be, the remaining ballots being counted, and so the vote count should be stopped.

That I think is completely unacceptable in a functioning democracy. President Trump's tweet did not result in any vote counting being stopped in any state in the USA, as far as I know, and that shows the strength of USA democracy. The President does not have the power to stop the vote count!

Let President Trump make his argument in USA courts of law that many mail-in ballots were fraudulent, and seek remedial steps for that. Let the USA courts of law decide on whether President Trump's allegations are true, and if they are true, what remedial actions should be taken.

Note that the 2000 USA presidential election did go to courts of law and it is the USA Supreme Court that decided on a recount dispute, which resulted in George W. Bush being elected as President of USA, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore.

The vote counting must go on till all the valid votes are counted - that is such a fundamental part of a democracy. And it is very heartening to see that almost no noted Republican party leader other than President Trump himself, has supported President Trump's call to stop the vote count! IMHO, that augurs well for the future of USA democracy.

All said and done, 2020 presidential election is just one presidential election. Protecting the integrity of institutions and processes of democracy in the USA, especially those that elect the President of USA, is much more important than the outcome of one presidential election.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY (POLITICALLY) NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about USA politics. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in USA elections. I am a well-wisher of the people of the USA.

Comments

Archive

Show more