Issue of separation of religion and politics; Are democratic elections and governments in the world rigged? Is the world headed for disaster where freedoms of common people will be lost to NWO bosses? - My comments

Given below are my comments (slightly edited) from a recent Facebook post, https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2644815935734967, comment exchange, starting with this comment response of mine:
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2644815935734967?comment_id=2649509201932307&reply_comment_id=2650328995183661.

To read the full exchange readers will have to visit the above post's above referenced comment thread.

In response to a comment, I wrote:
I find some of Rajiv Malhotra's views to be very informative and useful. He seems to have done significant work in challenging some wrong notions about Hinduism put forward by some Western academic scholars of Hinduism (e.g. Wendy Doniger). I think that has been a very notable contribution of Rajiv Malhotra. Note that it is academic views on such matters that are regarded as authoritative in the West, unlike in India where, for Hinduism, such authority is typically and informally vested in religious institutions like Hindu peeths/mathas.

But I do not agree with all of Rajiv Malhotra's views on Hinduism and I have not viewed much of his (country) politics related videos e.g. What should India's policy be towards China. Note that I am interested in following spiritual movement politics and if his videos cover that, then if I come across it and have the time, I do view them. Politics in large groups of people whether social groups or religious groups is ***Inevitable***, IMHO.

Yes, very unfortunately, there are many crooks who wear the saffron garb today. That makes it very tricky for Hindu devotees and spiritual aspirants. They have to figure out which saffron clad man or woman is genuine and which is fake! But I think this issue affects Christian religion too. It is not limited to Hinduism.

About separation of religion and politics: That would be ideal in today's day and age, in democracies like our country. Note that barring the past few centuries which saw democracy and separation of powers between state and religion in some European countries appear on the world political history scene, the rest of history (vast period of time as compared to past few centuries) is dominated by governance by monarchs who are deeply connected to religion and religious institutions.

Today, some parts of Western Europe seem to have sustained that separation of state and religion. e.g. UK and France. But if you look at Germany which one would have thought would also have such a separation, we find that its chancellor is from a political party called "Christian Democratic Union of Germany"! The name of the political party itself has Christian in it! And as one goes to Eastern Europe like Hungary under Viktor Orban, it is quite obvious that the ruling party is pro Christian.

In the case of USA and India, I think such separation is difficult to happen today and in the foreseeable future. One has to deal with that reality. One cannot wish it away even if one wanted to.

Perhaps for USA and India, the focus has to be on freedom of religion ensuring government support for free practice of any religion or no religion, as long as the followers obey the law of the land.
---------

In response to a comment, I wrote:
My considered view is that the politics of a democratic country (functioning democracy) in our times (information age), is ultimately a reflection of the various communities and interest groups that make up the people of the country. And I think in our country today, it is economic issues that matter most to majority of the voting public, with security and some social & cultural issues coming next in importance. [I have put security as second since security has not been a big issue in the past decade or so, for most of the country, excepting the known trouble spots/areas.]

In our times, I think political leaders get shaped and moulded by the communities whose support is vital for them to stay in power. Idealism, principles and all that have to come as a distant second to keeping their voter support base happy. Otherwise they will be out of power! And once they are out of power, they can be forgotten in a hurry, OR worse, if the winners want to target them for something, they might find themselves in trouble with investigation agencies!

I think both USA and India now have absolutely brutal environments for those who want to get elected as democratic representatives. UK and some other parts of Europe may be much better.

In USA and India, money power is essential to get elected to any position of some power. In India, you also need muscle power. Don't know how much of muscle power comes into play in USA politics. It may not be like India but some amount of muscle power sure does come into play even in the USA.

The convenient punching bag is the politician. But the issue is the voting community. Democracy, in our times, is a ***brutal*** reflection of the voting public.  Many times, in democracies, we get leaders that we, as the whole voting public, deserve, IMHO.
---------

In response to a comment, I wrote:
I have followed a lot of democratic elections in USA and India over the past few years, say after 2015, and have also put up posts on it. My recent posts are about UK elections which I am following.

My view is that in USA and India, even if some amount of voting is rigged (meaning fraudulent recording of vote and/or fraudulent counting of votes) in government conducted elections (as against inner political party elections like USA Democratic and Republican Party primary elections), the outcome largely reflects the mandate of the people. Note that I am not including gerrymandering and voter suppression in the USA which are different things.

Donald Trump's election in the USA in 2016 surely reflects the electoral college mandate of USA people (he lost the majority vote but, as he said in one interview that I recall seeing or reading, if the contest was on majority vote he would have campaigned in a different way, for example spending more time in California). The federal government in power then in USA - Democrats - would surely have not attempted to rig the elections in favour of Donald Trump. That's my view. Perhaps you have a different view. If so, that's OK - we can agree to disagree on this.

In some recent state elections in India, the ruling party in Delhi - BJP - has lost or not won enough seats to form a government. In my own state of Andhra Pradesh, the BJP was nowhere and the ruling TDP party got routed at the polls by the YSRC - both regional parties. No serious analysis of the rout in my state of the TDP has blamed rigging. The TDP itself have arrived at an analaysis for their rout, without any notable reference to vote rigging or EVM rigging.

Whether people were given money to vote for a particular party or not, is another issue. But then some say that people take money from multiple parties and then vote for a particular party.

In India, at least in Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh, I believe that block level victory/defeat counts become available to candidates. That gives them an idea of where they lost and where they won. So candidates and power brokers of Puttaparthi, which I think would be similar in other parts of India, get a good feel of which block/locality voted which way! This is the reality. Some weeks ago, I was having a discussion with a Puttaparthy municipal corporation ward member (elected representative from one ward) about general unemployment issues in our part of Anantapur district (Puttaparthi falls in Anantapur district) and attempts to solve those issues via industry development (e.g. Kia motors plant near Penukonda in Anantapur district). He engaged with me and shared his and his party's views on the matter. That was a good and useful conversation for me.

I told him that I am publicly politically neutral and my engagement in the conversation was purely from a desire to understand how the ruling party in Andhra Pradesh views the unemployment issue in our area and how it plans to tackle it. But he also asked me which party I had voted for in the past (state and general) elections (earlier this year)! I told him that I keep that as a secret and did not reveal to him who I had voted for!

My area MLA seat was won by the YSRC party defeating the incumbent TDP MLA. The word on the street was that people voted for YSRC party due to its promises and its friendly campaign whereas TDP was viewed as being distant and not doing enough to solve the issues faced by the people. No talk of any rigging (at voting booth level/vote counting level) whatsoever!

Now about reference to rigging at higher levels in the sense of money power behind campaigns of candidates, with that money power ultimately controlling the winning candidates. I think money power does play a big role in elections in India and USA. At one level, the influence is open and legal, when moneyed people and groups of people pour money into political parties whose campaign manifestos and policies (left-wing to middle ground to right-wing) they support. And one would not be surprised if such influence extends beyond that with govt. decisions and policies, outside their campaign manifestos and public policy stands, being implemented by the winners which are friendly towards/favour their donors.

But then, it is much worse with non-democratic countries in our times of this early 21st century! Monarchies, communist dictatorships and other dictatorships don't have to worry about any serious questioning of who they are favouring at all! Essentially, the king/dictator's word is law! Surely such money power influence would be there at a much higher level in monarchies and dictatorships.

In the past centuries, monarchies openly, I repeat openly, favoured those that gave them big money. There was no need to be coy about it or keep it as a secret. It would be called a tribute or something like that. They would even kidnap wealthy or important people and demand ransom! E.g. The current Dalai Lama when he was chosen as a child and was being brought from another Tibetan region/Chinese region to Lhasa, got kidnapped and heavy ransom was demanded which was paid - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Dalai_Lama#Early_life_and_background. This was in the late 1930s - not so far back in the past. That is typical in history of past centuries. Travel was nowhere near as safe as it is today. People even getting killed during travel was not uncommon! I mean, a Kashi yatra in those days had a real possibility of the yatri not making it back!

And payment demanded by monarchs and chieftains in the past centuries was not limited to money ... but let me not get into that as some of that is very unpleasant when viewed from our much more civilized early 21st century times.

The communist dictators of 20th century and in our early 21st century may not be under such influence of money power. But they are bigger than the money power guys! Billionaires in China, I am sure, will have to be super-respectful to Supremo Xi Jinping or else they may simply disappear for some time, and on world media creating a storm appear at some court 'confessing' to corruption crimes, and then disappear again as they get jailed to some remote jail in China. I mean Xi Jinping does not need to have money power as all China infrastructure is at his beck and call! It surely is the same in North Korea.

So while democracy in India and USA in our early 21st century times does have significant levels of money power influence, I think it is way better than the alternatives on offer today of monarchies or dictatorships including communist dictatorships.

Human life and human society have never been really nice. War, killings, money power buying up land and throwing out existing land owners, or military invasions/civil war/revolutions simply ejecting existing land and property owners with new ones, with sometimes the old land and property owners being executed - this is what human history is full of. Reading history (adult level where one gets the truthful view of historians and not a sanitised view as in school history books) can be a deeply distressing experience for people of our times. It certainly has been the case for me. But after that distressing experience, I have a much better appreciation of democracy today in terms of the rights that it gives to the citizens - much lesser in practice as compared to what it ideally should be but still way, way beyond what a subject in a monarchy/dictatorship had. In a monarchy/dictatorship (which, I repeat, has been the case for almost all of human history), a subject could be even killed simply because the monarch/dictator wanted him/her killed. As brutal as that!

So I think criticism of democracy by some in the West who rail against the whole system as rigged but do not offer an interesting alternative, is not good or useful. Some of such people talk of revolution without explaining how much killing and land and wealth grab ('redistribution') happens in real revolutions like the communist revolutions in Russia and China.

I respect Bernie Sanders. He too rails against the system as an oligarchy. I respect Jimmy Carter who says something similar. These people did not simply criticize the system - they offered an alternative by getting into politics and attempting to change the system.

I respect Arvind Kejriwal in India. He too railed against the system and then he formed a political party, contested elections, faced humiliation after stepping down as 49 day Chief Minister of Delhi in 2013-14, but continued to fight in politics and became CM again with a massive majority in 2015 winning 67 out of 70 seats.

Now you may feel very pessimistic about democracy in India and USA, and essentially feel that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I have felt that way in the past before I studied history as an adult getting the truthful view of historians. Now I don't feel so pessimistic. I ***know*** that the life I lead in democratic India and the freedoms I enjoy, were ***never ever*** enjoyed by generations of my own family prior to India's independence in 1947. ***Never ever*** enjoyed! As Brahmins, we were at the mercy of the king and temple heads. I am sure that we would have been always super-respectful to them OR else we would have been cast out of the temple and would have had to struggle for mere survival in the harsh world outside the temple.

I just don't want to write about what the lot of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes was, in those times where they were completely under the domination of the rulers who were supported by Brahmin priest class of the temples, as that will be just too distressing for me to even type in this public comment.

Democracy in India has unshackled the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. While some still are exploited, it is far, far lesser than what it was in earlier centuries. Mayawati, a person from Scheduled Castes became CM of Uttar Pradesh! Our Hon'ble President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, comes from Scheduled Caste background. What wonderful achievements of former CM Mayawati and President Kovind! These achievements of theirs are a celebration of Indian democracy!
---------

In response to a comment, I wrote:
Sorry bro., I did not indicate (seem to say) "we should just shut up and act as if the current system will improve on its own magically." Perhaps you did not read what I wrote about Bernie Sanders, Jimmy Carter and Arvind Kejriwal.

Don't mind my spending time in my long comments - hope that's not squeezing too much of your time; feel free to ignore them if they do. These comments help me express myself on these difficult questions and they (my comments alone) will go into my blog as a record of these comments, which I can refer back to in future (searching for it on my blog) when needed.

Sorry, I am not inclined right now to invest the time in viewing videos of George Carlin (I am not sure if I came across his name prior to you mentioning it). If you are able to express his solutions to the problems we face, as a comment here, I will surely read it and respond.

For me (it may be different for you), the key thing is not just being pessimistic about the situation today but proposing viable solutions to improving the situation today. Being pessimistic only without proposing solutions for improvement is going to a dark place, in my considered opinion, which I would prefer to stay away from.
---------

In response to a comment, I wrote:
I don't think I have blinders on but you are entitled to your view. No problem about that.

Good to see your solution: "Only solution is a revolution ...". However you qualify the statement by saying, "but indebted and enslaved people aren't capable or willing to take risks".

So it seems to me that you are not optimistic about chances of your only solution of revolution happening.

Your statement towards the end is a chilling one: "NWO gang is on target to strip humanity of all our freedoms by creating fascist police states." It is reminiscent of George Orwell's 1984 book. But 1984 came and went without the dark picture painted by Orwell in that book happening.

I recall an email conversation I had with a top scientist based in the USA a few years ago where he shared a very pessimistic view of the world in general including impact of rising sea levels due to global warming/climate change and forwarded a National Geographic map showing what would happen if all the ice at polar caps melt. I think this Sept. 2013 issue of Nat Geo was what he shared with me then: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2013/09/rising-seas-ice-melt-new-shoreline-maps/ .

I read it (did not put on a blinder). But here the solution proposed is clear: and that eventually resulted in the Paris climate accord even if more needs to be done to reduce fossil fuel usage and greenhouse gas emission.

I don't agree with your NWO gang view. You may be right and I may be wrong. Time will tell.

I do my bit for democracy by writing on social media and being supportive of it like I have done even in our exchange here.

Thanks for our exchange. All the best!
---------

Comments

Archive

Show more