Tragedy of 4 deaths in Chinese film director family who were in Home Quarantine in Wuhan starkly shows danger of new Coronavirus

I think this tragedy in a Wuhan family that seems to be well-to-do, starkly shows how a new and dangerous virus can devastate any family even in a modern city if there is an epidemic.

Chinese film director Chang Kai and family die from coronavirus, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/18/coronavirus-kills-chinese-film-director-family-wuhan-covid-19, 18th Feb. 2020.

I am putting up such posts as I strongly believe that it is in knowing the danger of this new Coronavirus that it can be beaten with lesser casualties than in not bothering much about it. In this context, I think Cambodian leaders displayed dangerous nonchalance in not following appropriate safety protocols when they welcomed the cruise ship Westerdam (which had been refused entry by a few countries) with no quarantine requirement. Eventually, one person from the Westerdam cruise ship tested positive. Hopefully, that is only one such case and that person has not infected others before she tested positive (and presumably got isolated immediately after). [Ref: A Passenger Tested Positive for Coronavirus After Hundreds Exited a U.S. Cruise Ship ..., https://time.com/5785109/coronavirus-confirmed-westerdam-cruise-ship/, updated on 18th Feb. 2020]

Back to the Chinese film director family tragedy covered in Guardian article above. The Guardian article is based on Caixin article here (may require free registration to read): Four Deaths in One Family Show Danger of Wuhan’s Home Quarantine Policy, https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-02-17/four-deaths-in-one-family-show-danger-of-wuhans-home-quarantine-policy-101516690.html, 17th Feb. 2020.

Chang Kai (55 years old) is described as a "notable director at Hubei Film Studios". It states that on Jan. 25th (2020), Chang's father reported symptoms of the new coronavirus infection. Chang tried to admit his father to a hospital in Wuhan but was turned away by the several hospitals he visited "due to a shortage of beds".

At that time, Wuhan city followed a policy of home quarantine (at least for such cases which could not be admitted to hospital). [Note that later Wuhan city has changed that policy but it was too late for Chang and his family.] The family seems to have followed home quarantine with tragic results. Around Jan. 28th Chang's father died. This was followed by deaths of Chang's mother (Feb. 2nd), sister and Chang himself (on Feb. 14th). Chang's wife has also contracted the disease and is in a serious condition.

The caixinglobal article quotes a message sent by Chang on his deathbed: "As I draw my last feeble breaths, I say to my family, my friends, and my son in faraway London: All my life, I was a filial son, a responsible father, a loving husband, and an honest person! Farewell to those I love and to those who loved me!"

Ravi: My God! This is so tragic and so moving.

[I thank caixinglobal.com and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above small extract(s) from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more