Mike Tyson - the most physically powerful and brutal contemporary fighter I have ever seen (on TV)

Last updated on 8th July 2019

Readers who do not like to read about boxing may please skip reading the rest of this post.

Mike Tyson, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tyson, rose to fame, I think, in the second half of the 1980s. During my USA stints in that period, I saw a lot of Mike Tyson on TV. Heavyweight boxing was not something that I felt was a nice sport in any way, but the raw violence and brutality of the fight in the ring was a reality that was heavily telecast on USA TV channels. So I did see fair bit of those fights and recognized that such brutal contests of raw physical and violent power had a significant following in the USA.

Mike Tyson was the brutal king of heavyweight boxing then. I don't think I have seen (on TV) any contemporary person who was more intimidating than Mike Tyson in the boxing ring. Before I share some videos of his ferocious attacks in the ring, I have to mention that Mike Tyson was convicted of rape in 1992 and released on parole after serving 3 years in jail.

Top 10 Mike Tyson Best Knockouts HD, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOHvMqAgcmc, 5 min 37 secs, published in 2015, close to 43 million views.

I think I was in the USA in June 1988 and saw the Mike Tyson vs. Mike Spinks fight on TV in USA, but I am not sure. Tyson knocked out Spinks in the first round! What I may have seen then but not registered well in my mind, was that the fight was held in Trump Plaza in Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA! Trump Plaza boards can be seen clearly in the video of the boxing match.

BTW I have also visited Atlantic City in the second half of the 1980s at which time I don't think I had heard about Donald Trump, and perhaps that's why I do not remember noticing a Trump brand hotel in Atlantic City.

Donald Trump came into the ring before the fight and was introduced as the host for the event! You can see Trump at around 6 min 15 secs into this video: 1988 Michael Spinks V Mike Tyson Full Fight +interviews.Highest Quality, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9bpOV9beQ, 14 min. 17 secs.

Now, 3 decades later, the same Donald Trump who hosted that Mike Tyson fight, is the most powerful man on the planet as he is the Commander-in-Chief of USA armed forces, the most powerful armed forces the world has ever seen!

BTW Donald Trump and Mike Tyson had a business relationship as well.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY (POLITICALLY) NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up which has references to USA political leader(s). Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in USA elections. I am a well-wisher of the people of the USA.
------------------------------------------------

Utterly fascinating to see this side of Mike Tyson! I had no idea that he underwent such a transformation. Mike Tyson Speaks at Prisoner Reentry Conference,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaMb3GqKXb0, around 20 mins, published on 2nd April 2015 by NJTV News.

Comments

Archive

Show more