I appreciate Smt. Sonia Gandhi's patriotism & love for India

Given below are the contents of my recent Facebook post here: https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/1739656359584267

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/not-ashamed-of-family-in-italy-sonia-gandhis-retort-to-pm-modi-jibe-1404509

My view is that Mrs. Sonia Gandhi is an Indian citizen and should not be harassed due to her being of Italian origin. She married an Indian citizen who became the elected Prime Minister of India, Shri Rajiv Gandhi, and who had to give the ultimate sacrifice of his life when he was assassinated.

The article states that Mrs Sonia Gandhi said in her public speech, "I will die in India and my ashes will be immersed in India as the blood of my loved ones are mixed in this soil." As an Indian citizen, born-and-bred in India, and living in India, I welcome her statement, appreciate the love & patriotism for India in it, and wish her all the best.

Regarding any financial or other impropriety charges levelled against her, I think that should be a matter that should be decided by Indian courts of law. If any Indian citizen is found guilty, whether it be Mrs. Sonia Gandhi or any other political leader of any political party, that person should face the consequences as decided by the court of law. #SoniaGandhi

Please note that I typically take a political-party-neutral stand in these social media posts that I put up on Indian politics. Specifically, I am not, and do not plan to be, a member or even a supporter of any political party of India.
==========================

Given below is one of the comments I made on the associated Facebook post (slightly edited):

Voting for a particular political party in India (UPA/Congress led by Smt. Sonia Gandhi OR NDA/BJP led by Shri Narendra Modi) is a different matter, and I think all Indian citizens of voting age are free to vote for, and even campaign for (if they are so interested), for political parties of their choice.

In my post, I am focusing on non-acceptance of a foreign-born person who married an Indian, and thereby became an Indian citizen, due to doubts about her patriotism to India. Note that Mrs. Sonia Gandhi did not occupy the Prime Minister's post when she was in a position to do it, perhaps due to widespread feelings in India that an initially foreign citizen who later became Indian citizen should not occupy that most powerful position in India. Unlike the USA constitution which seems to specifically bar initially foreign citizens who later became American citizens, from becoming President of the USA, Indian constitution does not seem to have any such restriction. Perhaps there should be an amendment to the Indian constitution which puts in that restriction.

Regarding allegations of financial corruption or other illegal matters, what I am saying is that due legal process is the right of every Indian citizen (including foreign citizens who became Indian citizens, and currently foreign citizens too) before the person can be considered by top persons in govt. as guilty of those allegations. I believe the Congress is willing for a Supreme Court monitored probe in the matter. That's the right way, in my considered opinion, to decide on such matters.

I must also say that the current PM, Shri Narendra Modi, was also the target of some horrific allegations, which went through the legal process, and failed to get proven in Indian courts of law. So, in my view, the previous allegations against Shri Narendra Modi should be completely dropped from political discourse.
---

Comments

Archive

Show more