Safe way is to use boiled and cooled filtered water for Jala Neti (to clear sinuses)

From my FB post, https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2361377724078791, 8th Dec. 2018

Hmm. So should I use (Jala) Neti for clearing my sinuses? I do it occasionally using Amruta water in Puttaparthi. ... What's clear is that if I want to be really safe then I should boil and cool that water before using it for Jala Neti.

Any readers who use Jala Neti? What do you think about this?

"Woman dies from brain-eating amoeba after using neti pot", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb662O3W4-0, 1 min 19 secs published by USA Today on 7th Dec. 2018
----

In response to a comment that partially said "They do tell you to use boiled water.", I wrote (slightly edited): Thanks --name-snipped--. I was told to use it with salt, which is what I do. ... Maybe I will use boiled and cooled water from now.
----

In response to comment, I wrote (slightly edited): I think in these matters, medical science does not have a crisp black-or-white view. I have read of such reports in the past too. So while I don't think medical science would have a consensus view that causality has been established in this case, it seems to have a view that there is a decent probability of bacteria in water used for Jala Neti being the cause for the unfortunate brain disease and later death. Therefore I think it is safe to use boiled (and cooled)/distilled water for Jala Neti. In my particular case, I plan to use the packaged filtered drinking water that I get in Puttaparthi (Amruta water), boil and cool it, and then use that for Jala Neti in future.
----

Comments

Archive

Show more