Hats off to USA Judge Sullivan in ensuring that truth is declared and upheld and that there is no miscarriage of justice

Usually, I avoid posting such sensitive USA politics related stuff. But here I am making an exception as the judge ensured that truth prevails by directly asking the person concerned (a retired military general) whether he claims that he was tricked into making a guilty plea.

A small extract from the New York Times Editorial Board article https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/opinion/editorials/michael-flynn-sentencing.html, dated 18th Dec. 2018 :

“I cannot recall an instance of a court ever accepting a guilty plea from someone who did not maintain he was guilty,” Judge Sullivan said, “and I do not intend to start today.”

Chastened, Mr. Flynn told the judge that nobody tricked him, that he lied and that he knew he shouldn’t have.
--- end extract ---

Ravi: That's what a judge can do! Ensure that truth is declared and upheld.

Miscarriage of justice is a horrendous thing. By directly asking the accused about this, the judge has ensured that on this vital guilty plea point, there is no miscarriage of justice.

Hats off to the judge! Hats off to USA justice system!

Truth is a powerful force in life. It is good to note that Mr. Flynn chose to be truthful to the judge. It is the truth that eventually saves. It is the truth that eventually redeems. Truth is one of the greatest values of life.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY (POLITICALLY) NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about USA politics. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in USA elections.

[I thank nytimes.com and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above short extract from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more