Sales of assault rifles of kind used in mass shootings in USA, to any adult USA citizen should be STOPPED

Given below is an edited version of a recent comment of mine on Facebook that I felt appropriate to put up as a separate post.

I read somewhere about USA being founded on "God and Guns"! I think it is only in the USA that you will come across Christian pastors TODAY in this early 21st century who will be carrying a bible in one hand and also be carrying a loaded gun! Mind you, I am not saying that's wrong or right. Just sharing how it is in some parts of the USA at least.

I think it is guns that allowed the settlers in the USA to capture and hold on to land, not only from native Americans but also from other settlers who may have challenged them. I mean, reading USA history gives one the impression that even in the nineteenth century, in many parts of the USA, any person who did not have a gun would be just pushed around and would not be able to hold on to anything! Then it seems to have been a rough country where only the rough and tough could flourish!

But, in today's context, the firepower that any USA adult citizen without a criminal record and without recorded mental illness, can buy is absolutely terrifying!

One of the guitarists of one of the bands that performed there wrote: "We actually have members of our crew with CHL [concealed handgun] licenses, and legal firearms on the bus.

“They were useless" ... “We couldn’t touch them for fear the police might think that we were part of the massacre and shoot us.", https://www.spin.com/2017/10/las-vegas-shooting-josh-abbott-band-caleb-keeter-we-need-gun-control-right-now/.

Ravi: I mean, what can you do with handguns against somebody who is firing from an assault rifle from a safe and high perch! Sitting ducks they were, despite the handgun firearms they had!

I think that unless USA stops legal sales to any adult USA citizen of assault rifles of the kind that were used in this massacre (and more powerful ones than that), the chances of such desperate tragedies happening again in the USA are high.

Therefore I felt that as a social media writer, I must publicly state my stand that sales of assault rifles of the kind used in mass shootings in USA like this Las Vegas tragedy, to any adult USA citizen who does not have a criminal or mental illness record, should be STOPPED. Mind you, I am not saying anything about sales of handguns which, I believe, will have significantly lesser number of bullets in a round, and also have lesser range. So any adult USA citizen (with money to buy them) can legally and easily buy handguns to protect themselves and even counter-attack any attempts to assault them or commit robbery against them.
====================================

America is exceptional for its unique, deadly gun culture, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/10/03/america-is-exceptional-for-its-unique-deadly-gun-culture/

Worth reading, I think. BTW the article author, Ishaan Tharoor, is the son of Shashi Tharoor, Indian MP, former Union minister and former senior UN official.


Please note that I have a PUBLICLY NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up which have some relation to USA politics. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in USA elections. I have written this public post as a well wisher of the people of the USA, with no ulterior motive whatsoever.

Comments

Archive

Show more