Donald Trump and Mike Pence acceptance speeches at Republican Convention; Ted Cruz speech

Last updated on 23rd July 2016

FULL SPEECH: Donald Trump Accepts Republican Nomination for President (7-21-16) Trump RNC, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Svt3kfq1c, around 1 hr. 30 mins

The transcript of the speech can be seen here: www.vox.com/2016/7/21/12253426/donald-trump-acceptance-speech-transcript-republican-nomination-transcript
----------------------------------------

His Tone Dark, Donald Trump Takes G.O.P. Mantle, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/us/politics/donald-trump-rnc-speech.html

"With dark imagery and an almost angry tone, Mr. Trump portrayed the United States as a diminished and even humiliated nation, and offered himself as an all-powerful savior who could resurrect the country’s standing in the eyes of both enemies and law-abiding Americans."

Given below are some comments from a Facebook post of mine, https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/1767958980087338, associated with above part of this post:

Sai Das wrote (edited):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cn2XVgAUsAIHC9C.jpg

Trump: “I alone can fix this.”


Zeig Heil! Zeig Heil! Zeig Heil!
------

Ravi S. Iyer wrote:
:-) Well, I saw Ingraham's speech too. She was not giving any salute. But, yes, Mr. Trump did say, I alone can fix this (or words to that effect). Hmm. The party of Abraham Lincoln has acquired a tone which may not be exactly what Lincoln would want.

BTW, if I recall correctly, I had to study Lincoln's Gettysburg speech in my school days (i.e. in or before tenth standard/grade). I think he is the most famous American president among Indian English medium taught schoolkids as most would have studied this famous speech of his. However, I came to know only recently, with quite some surprise, that he was from the Republican party (and the first Republican president), and that this was the party that was the anti-slavery party (whereas the Democrats were pro slavery then, If I recall correctly)! Lincoln is a revered figure among well educated Indians, I think.

I hope Mr. Trump drops the "I alone" words, even if he later tries to explain it away as "I alone among the presidential contenders". He is now the presidential nominee of the party of Abraham Lincoln who led the fight against slavery successfully, and paid the price of losing his life for it (due to the horrific Civil War in the USA). Given that background, I have to say that Mr. Trump should raise his speeches to statesman like standards befitting the party of Abraham Lincoln and befitting a great democracy in the world today, even if that democracy today is having some serious flaws in terms of the influence of money on it.
-----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote:
I must also say that I do earnestly hope that he does not get into a mindset that he is chosen/anointed by God to be president!
-----

[Ravi: I chose not to include the comment exchange that followed, on this blog post. Readers who want to see that additional small exchange may please visit the Facebook post (link provided earlier).]
---------------------------------------

Mike Pence nomination for Vice-President acceptance Speech at Republican National Convention (7-20-16), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GEa45PceQk, 36 min
----------------------------------------

Watch Sen. Ted Cruz's full speech at Republican National Convention, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhqM9ZnVmI, 23 min 23 secs, published on Jul 20th 2016

A related article: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/21/politics/ted-cruz-non-endorsement-donald-trump/index.html

Cruz's words about why he broke his pledge to support/endorse to eventual nominee, "The day that was abdicated was the day this became personal" "I'm not going to get into criticizing or attacking Donald Trump, but I'll give you this response: I am not in the habit of supporting people who attack my wife and attack my father. And that pledge was not a blanket commitment that if you go and slander and attack Heidi, I'm going to nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say thank you very much for maligning my wife and my father". Source: http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Ted-Cruz-Donald-Trump-Servile-Puppy-Dog-8400615.php

[I thank nytimes.com and chron.com, and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above short extracts from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about the USA presidential elections. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me voting in these elections.

Comments

Archive

Show more